Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REGINALD HARLEY CULP, 142 Sqdn RCAF

Sniper Guest

Default REGINALD HARLEY CULP, 142 Sqdn RCAF

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with this guy please?
    Name: CULP, REGINALD HARLEY
    Initials: R H
    Nationality: Canadian
    Regiment/Service: Royal Canadian Air Force
    Unit Text: 142 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 05/09/1942
    Service No: R/75722
    Additional information: Son of Archie B. and Ethel C. Culp, of Beamsville, Ontario, Canada.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 102.
    Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

What i know so far is that he and the crew he was flying with were all killed on operation Bremen with no known cause for the crash. They flew out of Grimsby at about midnight and crashed into the sea off the Dutch coast.

Any further information would be a huge help and much appreciated.

Cheers
    Sniper

Thanks

Hi
    It is not entirely clear if you have had access to Chorley's Bomber Command Losses Vol 3, but just in case, Wellington IV,Z1214, QT-C, came down in the sea off Callantsoog. Holland,no cause given. Culp and his fellow Canadian pilot Sgt I C Lamont have no known graves but the bodies of the other 3 were recovered. Sgt H J Balkwill,W/op and Sgt A Roy A/G lie in Bergen-op-Zoom, Sgt F W Baker,Nav ,lies in Vredenhof Cemetery on Schiermonnikoog in the Dutch Freisian Is.The 2 in Bergen-op-Zoom might have been moved there postwar.
    Regards
    Dick

Sniper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Hi
    It is not entirely clear if you have had access to Chorley's Bomber Command Losses Vol 3, but just in case, Wellington IV,Z1214, QT-C, came down in the sea off Callantsoog. Holland,no cause given. Culp and his fellow Canadian pilot Sgt I C Lamont have no known graves but the bodies of the other 3 were recovered. Sgt H J Balkwill,W/op and Sgt A Roy A/G lie in Bergen-op-Zoom, Sgt F W Baker,Nav ,lies in Vredenhof Cemetery on Schiermonnikoog in the Dutch Freisian Is.The 2 in Bergen-op-Zoom might have been moved there postwar.
    Regards
    Dick
    Hi Dick,

Many thanks for this information. I do have this information. I was hoping that one of our good members would be able to tell me what sort of mission he was on, and any other facts about his time with the squadron.
    Many thanks again
    Sniper

Thanks

Sniper,

I have the 142 Squadron ORB, and would be delighted to help you out with a few details of his time with the squadron. However, i am "snowed under" at the moment with other research projects, and the dreaded "real life work"... If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, i'll have a trawl through the ORB and see what i can do to help you.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Sniper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Sniper,

I have the 142 Squadron ORB, and would be delighted to help you out with a few details of his time with the squadron. However, i am "snowed under" at the moment with other research projects, and the dreaded "real life work"... If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, i'll have a trawl through the ORB and see what i can do to help you.

L/O

Greg
    Hi Greg,

Many thanks for the offer and no problem in waiting for when you have a little more time. Any help would be really appreciated. I do have a time limit on getting this done but thats not up until next September when i visit Beamsville again. Do you want me to PM you in a few weeks as i'm sure that this thread will be way back down the list by then and you may have forgotten about it?
    Again many thanks for your offer of help.

Sniper

Thanks

Hello Sniper,

You know me too well already!! The best idea would be to email me, so i can print it off and put it in my "pending" pile. My email address is "greg@greg-harrison.co.uk". Please put something very obvious, such as "142 Squadron request", in the subject line, or else my server (a real John Bull affair, held together with sticky tape and old egg boxes and which whirrs away by my feet and keeps them warm) will send it to the big old waste paper bin in the ether.... :D

Looking forward to hearing from you,

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Default Reginald Harley Culp

I sent the following message (entered below) last week but had trouble with my connection to this website. I have been in touch with Greg Harrison as his direct email address was posted on this site. The following is the message that I sent to him but I was wondering what connection "Sniper" has to researching this individual and the Beamsville Ontario memorial that was mentioned.

I wrote:

Though I realize this was posted over a year ago, I am very much interested in the research you have found on Reg Culp. He was the only child of Archie and Ethel Culp, who were dear friends of my Grandparents. The Culp's had no nieces and nephews so my mother and her siblings were like "family" to them and they were all devasted when Reg was lost. My mother clearly remembers the moment she heard he was reported missing-in-action. Please tell me how you have researched this information so that I can tell my Mom and her siblings, especially my Uncle who was closest in age to Reg and who also served overseas. They will be pleased that someone is out there researching a young man who lost his life serving, who's parents never got over the loss of their only child. I remember being in their home in the fall of 1970 in Beamsville, Ontario where his picture in uniform was displayed in a frame and they talked of him to me, though I barely knew them. It seems so strange to read that he flew out of Grimsby (England) on his last mission. The little town right next to Beamsville where Reg grew up in Ontario is also "Grimsby". Looking forward to hearing from anyone involved in this search.

Janice Kent

Thanks

Default squadron 142 ORB's

This message is for "sniper" who is logged in as a guest. I'm hoping you might help me track down further info about my dad, F/S T.V.S. Wiggins. His Wellington (Z1221) was shot down Nov. 8, 1941 and he was a POW for the remainder of the war. Interested in tracking down operational details for his flights prior to this.
    I was referred to you by the Bomber Command Museum in Nanton, AB, Canada.
    Hope you can help.

Thanks

Sniper/Greg,
    I also have the 142sqdn ORB, but unlike Greg, i have plenty of time on my hands due to being off work and bored with after effects of a broken shoulder. Would be only too glad to help out.
    Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 29th April 2010 at 05:44.

Thanks

Hi,
    Your father's a/c was lost on 07/11/41, he went through several pow camps, 8b, L3, L6 and 357, his pow number was 24514. I'll check through the ORB for previous ops flown and email you with details.
    Regards.......Alan.

The op to Mannheim seems to have been only the 2nd trip by this crew with 142sqdn, their first was on 10.10.41 when, with 3 other a/c they went to Ostend, the 4 crews concerned are described as "Freshers" in the ORB, probably an indication that they were new to the sqdn. Strangley, i cannot find any notation in the ORB of when they were posted there.
    Last edited by AlanW; 29th April 2010 at 05:29.