I am researching my father's RAF record and am confused! Douglas James Woodward (909796) joined the RAF as a medical orderly in December 1939. After multiple UK training locations he eventually set sail for Bombay on 11 March 1943, disembarking on 11 May 1943. On 29 June 1943 he is recorded at AHQ (U), 164 Wing. I don't know the significance of the (U), but I believe that AHQ was in Delhi and that 164 Wing was a signals wing with links back to Bletchley. On 4 April 1945 he was assigned to "233 Group (Unit)" which I understand was formed as part of the move to retake ground from the Japanese but was cancelled in June 1945 because of the speed of events. His next record entry shows "77 Base" on 14 July 1945. I can find no record of a 77 Base.

My father talked very little of his time in the war, but my mother told the story of him arriving in Singapore as the Japanese surrendered and being part of a handful of men assigned to take charge of a hospital/POW camp before knowing whether the Japanese in charge would surrender. The final entry in his record is back in the UK in February 1946.

What happened to him between July 1945 and February 1946? Did he move from Delhi to Singapore? Where was the elusive 77 Base?

All help will be very much appreciated.

David Woodward