Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a copy of the RAF Kisumu (Kenya) ORB?

Thanks

Default Does anyone have a copy of the RAF Kisumu (Kenya) ORB?

Does anyone have a copy of the RAF Kisumu ORB in AIR 28/426 for October 1942, please?

I'm trying to establish the circumstances of a death that month of a BOAC employee. It's a bit of a long shot, but just wanting to check in case.

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Default Re: Does anyone have a copy of the RAF Kisumu (Kenya) ORB?

Hello Steve,

I take it you are looking for information on Traffic Assistant C. G. "Jim" Murlis-Green*, BOAC, + 22 October, 1942, Is that correct?

I have on record that, BOAC, Lockheed 414-17 EW971, (ex-42-6680), crashed at Kano, on 21 October, 1942 (N.F.D.) Aircraft returned to RAF on 1 May, 1943 (No.1 MECCU, crashed 4 m NE of Bilbeis, Egypt, when engine cut during overshoot, 16 March, 1944). I haven't established a connection between C. G. Murlis-Green and EW971, as yet.

I should note that, C. G. Murlis-Green was an only child, so not a sibling of G/C Gilbert Ware Murlis-Green DSO*, MC** etc, later OC, No.41 Sqn RAF, (possibly related).

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/fi...ails/2216675/C G MURLIS-GREEN/

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 11th September 2020 at 09:30.

Thanks

Gilbert Godwin Murlis-Green

Thanks

Gilbert Godwin Murlis-Green

Newspaper obit
    Murlis-Green - On Oct 22, 1942 at Kisumu, Kenya, as the result of an acccident. G G. Murlis-Green ("Jim") Only child og
    Group Captain and Mrd G W Murlis-Gree

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995
    of The Chalet Nursling, Hamphire died 22 October 1942 at Kisumu Kenya Colony Africa

Mar 1918 Romford, Essex, Suffolk

Name: Gilbert Godwin Murliso Green (sic)
    Birth Date: 28 Dec
    Baptism Date: 31 Dec 1917
    Baptism Place: Essex, England
    Search Photos: Search for 'Chigwell, St Mary The Virgin' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
    Father: Gilbert Ware Murliso Green
    Mother: Catharine Eva Murliso Green
    Source Description: Baptism Register; Service of Church: Registers of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials; Incumbent; Chigwell, St Mary the Virgin; Parish Records;1903-1957

This is his father

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_W._M._Green

Thanks

Hi Col, right you are! You've put that crystal ball to good use!

I agree, CG is not a sibling of GW; he was his son. In fact, I believe he was actually Gilbert Godwin (i.e. G. G., not C. G.) Murlis-Green. The detail - Godwin - is the link to Gilbert Ware Murlis-Green. GW married Catherine Eva Godwin in 1917, and GG was born in 1918. This fits with GG's age at death of 25. GG was GW's only son. Moreover, the CWGC states he was "Son of Group Captain & Mrs G.W. Murlis-Green." This means that the CWGC entry "C. G." is incorrect.

There are other reasons to trust this link. The Murlis-Green family appears to have had no link to Kenya prior to GG being posted (presumably) to the flying boat base at Kisumu, but GW and Catherine moved there after the war and this is where GW died in 1958. There are also records of GW travelling my ship between Mombasa and the UK in the post-war years.

Here's GW's grave: http://www.eamemorials.co.uk/EAMemor.../Kitale327.htm

I am trying to establish the cause of death, though I presume his title, "Traffic Assistant", suggests he was ground staff rather than aircrew. As such, beyond your suggestion, which I was not previously aware of, I assume there was an accident on the ground or he succumbed to illness.

Though I'm not overly convinced the Kisumu ORB will hold the answer, it was then under RAF control, so I'm hoping it may contain a clue.

Thanks for the suggestion of BOAC Lockheed 414-17 EW971, ex-42-6680, which crashed at Kano on 21 October 1942. I'll see if I can find out anything more.

Do you have a specific interest in it to 'have it on record'?

Many thanks
    Steve

Thanks

Thanks Paul, you added more while I was writing my reply to Col! Thanks, I'll take a look at the additional info.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Brew; 11th September 2020 at 12:01. Reason: Context

Thanks

Steve,

I did some research on BOAC aircraft/personnel losses back in 2008. Lack of resources, no Ancestry, and too busy made me put it to one side. Haven't done much work on it since.

Col.

Thanks

Gilbert Ware Murlis Green retired March 1942 from RAF as GC on own request - I have him travelling with wife June 28 1942 to New York (from Foynes Eire). He has Passport number 401257, she is 401259 - I suspect Gilbert his son was 401258.... Shane I cab't see his job title is obscured he was on NC41881

He certainly served in Kenya Police force after WW2 and died there

But I cannot find Murlis Green on 1939 Register - So I wonder if they were already out in Kenya at the time? So maybe "Traffic Assistant" was a local ground role

Lockheed Twins

6855 A-28A 42-6680 USAAF del 10 Jun 42. To
    RAF ME, del to Cairo by Pan American Air Ferries 30 Jun 42. To EW971. 163Sq 267Sq
    - leased BOAC - 459Sq - 1 MECCU - 117Sq - 1 MECCU. Engine
    cut, crashed on overshoot 4mls NW of Bilbeis, Egypt 16 Mar 44.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to paulmcmillan For This Useful Post:

Steve Brew (12th September 2020)

Thanks

GC Gilbert Ware Murlis Green in August 1938 was Officer Commanding RAF Cardington - I can see if his only child dying and being buried in Kenya (the grave says "till we meet again") I can see why after the war he may have decided to move their where he died in 1958 - His wife returned to Englkand and died here

11. The Following User Says Thank You to paulmcmillan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Apparently according to a book on Google "Traffic Assistant" for BOAC was a ground trade and was to "handle reservations, clerical and secretarial duties"
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 11th September 2020 at 16:15.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to paulmcmillan For This Useful Post: