Thread: Jb355

Thanks

Default Jb355

Looking through the log book there are 3 entries for JB355..

15.11.1943. Special Y test. Sgt Lawes. FL killip Mr Vomberg. F.L Wilson

16.11.1943. Special y test Sgt Lawes FL Killip. Mr Vomberg.

17.11.1943 Special. Y test. . Sgt Lawes FL Killip. S/L Georgeson

Is Mr Vomberg a Scientist?

Magda

F

Thanks

Default Re: Jb355

There’s someone with the name Von Berg on record . I wonder if it had been an error. Nicholas Captain Von Berg
    Ex RAF Died 30th March 2019. May be just a coincidence but there doesn’t appear to be anyone with the name Vomberg anywhere in the Log Book. Just on the Special Y programme

Thanks

Name spelling vagaries in RAF records are certainly possible, Magda.
    However, in my experience of Squadron records (in the context of aircraft ops and crew) it would be very unusual indeed for the title Mr to be applied to anyone other than a civilian, and certainly not to a serving RAF Officer. (Peace, Flight Sergeants all!)

In any case, Nicholas Von Berg (2999513) was only commissioned as A/g Pilot Officer on probation in April 1954:
    London Gazette https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/2365

So it is quite possible your first thought is right for Mr Vomberg.
    One way to check, if you've not thought of it, is to look up the Squadron's Operations Record Book for that period, and see what the Summary of Events Form 540 has to say, then check for crew details in the corresponding Record of Events Form 541. Mr Vomberg and perhaps other Misters may be shown in the latter, and their presence explained in the former.

JB355 a Lancaster III, was lost with all crew on ops with 83 Squadron 3 Jan 1944
    (db: http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...php?uniq=jb355)

Squadron Operations Record Books are available free to view (in watermarked form) and for the time being free to download as pdf files at The National Archives
    83 Squadron AIR 27/687 Nov 1943:
    Form 540 http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D8454723
    Form 541 http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D8454724

Over to you.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 10th September 2020 at 21:44.
    Toujours à propos

Thanks

Thank you for all of the info you have given me Don. Sad that JB 355 was lost with alll of the crew a few weeks later. Mr Vomberg was written so clearly that I should not have doubted it. Will have to try and check up on Squadrons Ops Records as you suggested and see what crops up. Also Records of events and the files at National archives. Wish me luck.
    Magda

Thanks

"check up on Squadrons Ops Records as you suggested and see what crops up. Also Records of events and the files at National archives"

These are all in the same place and part of the one thing: The Operations Record Book
    Comes basically in the two main parts:
    The (monthly) Summary of Events - the Form 540
    and its companion
    The (daily) Record of Events - the Form 541

To see each, just follow the last two links, Magda.

For each, then Scroll down to Preview images of this record and click: that'll show a zoomable, scrollable set of pages for Nov 43.

If you want to keep a clear copy, follow the hints in the green panel at the right of each page.
    Register with your email, then sign in, then add to basket and download the pdf of each: free.

It's quite quick and easy either way.
    Don't know what they show - could've done it for you, but thought it more fun for you to see for yourself.

'Scuse me if I'm rattling on about stuff you already know...
    Last edited by Don Clark; 11th September 2020 at 01:01. Reason: addnl
    Toujours à propos

Thanks

From a quick look in the ORB, it looks as though No.83 Squadron flew no operations on these dates, but was heavily involved in 'Y' and Fishpond training. If I remember correctly, 'Y' exercises were essentially navigation exercise, whereas Fishpond was a radar device that gave some warning of the approach of other aircraft and first came into service in October 1943. Maybe, therefore, Mr Vomberg's flight in this aircraft was related to the Fishpond training?

Thanks

Thank you Andrew for the information for JB 355. As you say the Fishpond training sounds interesting and was the reason for Mr Vomburg being there. It so sad though that Jb355 was lost 2 or 3 weeks later with all of the crew. .Makes me think “What if”. With the information I have from you and Don I can start checking through the Operation Record Book as suggested. Here’s hoping.