Thread: TNA FE POW Files Help/Advice

Thanks

Default TNA FE POW Files Help/Advice

Hello All,
    TNA files AIR 81/12489 and AIR 81/12490 (Multiple RAF casualties and PoWs) have not been digitised.
    Has anybody got copies of them that they would be prepared to send me?
    I am simply putting the FE PoW occurrences into the s/sht as they arrive in sequence from Paul McMillan’s AIR 81 downloads. I’m working on the assumption that it’s easier to delete what’s not wanted than to decide – later! – “I wish we’d saved that”.
    I am by no means an expert, but the Euro/Med/Africa PoWs are proving quite difficult to reconcile. I am beginning to get the impression that the FE PoWs may be of Olympic standards of difficulty?!!! Can anybody help?
    Keeps me off the streets!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Re: TNA FE POW Files Help/Advice

Hi Peter,

The better resource for the FEPOW lists are WO392
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...tails/r/C14596

There are three distinct groups, each of which includes details of PoWs from all branches of HM Forces. The groups are:

(i) prisoners held in Germany or German-occupied territory;
    (ii) prisoners held in Italy; and
    (iii) those held by the Japanese either in Japan or Japanese-occupied territory.
    We already have copies of (i) and (ii) as these were nicely printed books in two editions . You have seen the Italy RAF POW list as it is easier to handle. The Germany list i assume is teh same as Ross's original list so we have kept that aside. (iii) were available for a brief earlier but the files were too many and were typewritten (and not printed volumes).

The FEPOW lists are in WO392-23 to 24 https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...wse/r/h/C54342 They are ALL POWs and not sorted into AF POWs like the Germany and Italy lists were.

I would say ignore the AIR81, some day we will get our hands on the WO392 lists and that is what we should work with.

In the past i have also referred to various files on http://www.mansell.com/pow-index.html in trying to sort out RAF FEPOW deaths.

Fold3.com (ancestry) also holds the same records from WO392
    https://www.fold3.com/browse/251/hTdkI9cdi_n0FzNiw
    23: British Prisoners of War Held in Japan or Japanese-Occupied Territory: A - D 718 Pages
    24: British Prisoners of War Held in Japan or Japanese-Occupied Territory: E - J 623 Pages
    25: British Prisoners of War Held in Japan or Japanese-Occupied Territory: K - Q 637 Pages
    26: British Prisoners of War Held in Japan or Japanese-Occupied Territory: R - Z 751 Pages
    Total : 2729 Pages!

In addition they have POW Index Cards. https://www.fold3.com/browse/251/hTdkI9cdiX-6xVd6H
    1: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Aaron-Angus
    2: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Anholm-Bairstow
    3: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Bakar-Bartsow
    4: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Barugh-Benzie
    5: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Bere-Bond
    6: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Bone-Briggs
    7: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Brigham-Buist
    8: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Bulbeck-Camp
    9: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Campbell-Chaplin
    10: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Chapman-Clegg
    11: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Cleggett-Cooke
    12: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Cookman-Crewe
    13: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Cribb-Davie
    14: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Davies-Dickson
    15: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Didd-Dunmore
    16: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Dunn-Elworthy
    17: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Ely-Fiford
    18: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Figg-Fozzard
    19: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Fradgley-Gazey
    20: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Geach-Goodwill
    21: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Goodwin-Griffin
    22: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Griffith-Hance
    23: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Hancock-Haswell
    24: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Hatch-Heyworth
    25: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Hiam-Holme
    26: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Holmes-Hulin
    27: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Hull-Jamieson
    28: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Jancey-Jones R
    29: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Jones S-King L
    30: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: King M-Lawrence
    31: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Lawrenson-Litten
    32: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Little-McCole
    33: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: McColgan-McMinn
    34: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: McMoreland-Martin
    35: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Martindale-Miller H
    36: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Miller J-Morrill
    37: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Morris-Needham
    38: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Neen-Oldcorn
    39: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Oldershaw-Parsonage
    40: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Parsons-Peyton
    41: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Phair-Poynton
    42: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Pragnell-Rayson
    43: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Rea-Rixson
    44: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Roach-Rostron
    45: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Rote-Schofield
    46: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Scholes-Shilling
    47: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War & Internees, World War II: Shillingford-Smith E
    48: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Smith F-Spencer
    49: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Spendelow-Stones
    50: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Stonham-Taylor F
    51: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Taylor G-Thynne
    52: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Tibbett-Twatt
    53: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Tweddell-Walmsley
    54: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Walpole-Weeks
    55: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Wegg-Wigzell
    56: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Wilburn-Wilson
    57: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Wilthew-Wurra
    58: Japanese Index Cards of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees, World War II: Wyatt-
    Last edited by Jagan; 23rd September 2020 at 15:11.