Thread: The lost graves of peenemunde

Thanks

Default The lost graves of peenemunde

Hi All

Hope I'm not going to get into trouble but just wanted to raise awareness regarding the above book which was published today by Fighting High Publishing -

https://www.fightinghigh.com/collect...-of-peenemunde

It obviously concerns the Peenemünde raid but centres on the fifteen bodies buried there which were not recovered by the MRES after the war due to Russian intransigence. It is hoped that this situation may be resolved in the future and people are working hard to that effect. The book is being shipped starting tomorrow.

All the best

Mike

Thanks

Default Re: The lost graves of peenemunde

Interesting, thank you for the heads-up Mike. I am certain there is a similar case of a 630 Squadron crew buried in Konigsberg.

Thanks

Hi Pete

You are obviously correct about 630 Squadron aircraft ND982 at Königsberg. I believe shot down by Fw Schafer in a Ju88G (His first kill). Buried Uderwangen. There are quite a few crews buried in the area and these are the subject of my next book, imaginatively titled "The Lost Graves of Königsberg". We have actually managed to pinpoint a number of as yet undisturbed graves.

For anyone with an interest the Peenemünde book has quite a few previously unseen German and British documents that locate the bodies fairly accurately. If anyone thinks it isn't worth it I'll give you the £20 back myself! By the way, the small figure on the front cover, bottom left, is my wife's uncle

All the best

Mike McLeod

Thanks

Hi Mike,

Just got an email, that my copy is on its way down under, very much looking forward to reading it. My uncle did his first Op on this raid, only to be lost two weeks later on a raid on Berlin. Five of the crew are still in the aircraft when it crashed into a swamp, but no government, either British, Australian, Canadian or German is willing to recover their bodies even though we found it in 2002.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Thank you for the heads up . A book I’d be most interested in. I’ve located a few lost graves myself abroad and at home . May I suggest passing the details on to my friend Chris Harley of the In from the cold project, who have done sterling work which never ceases to impress me ?

Thanks

Hi John

Firstly thanks for ordering the book. I am well aware of the travesty regarding Lancaster ED328. No doubt the JCCC told you the same as me - they have no funds to search but if you bring them some bones they may take a look.

This is unlike the American POW/MIA outfit that have a budget of hundreds of millions of dollars. I am hoping to get get the Americans involved as I have pinpointed the graves of a Canadian and three Americans which are the subject of another forthcoming book. Unfortunately it all takes time.

At Peenemünde I had Rostock University Archaeology Department do a Geomagnetic survey but this was useless due to a large number of highly magnetic glacial boulders. The German authorities are most helpful. The leading search dog company is this country, having seen the documents, volunteered the service of one of their cadaver dogs foc but we must wait for the end of the current medical inconvenience.

There is still much to do.

All the best

Mike

Thanks

There’s a mosquito crew that’s a clear case for a pair of “ known to be buried in this cemetery graves “ in the former East Germany for example .