Thread: Looking for examples of RAF WWII communication.

Thanks

Default Looking for examples of RAF WWII communication.

Dear members of RAF Commands

I am doing research for an upcoming feature film and am trying to find examples transcripts or audio for two situations during the Market Garden operation period, Sept 1944. and I am hoping that someone with more knowledge can point me in the right direction. On a RAF airbase in the UK (not named but possibly RAF Tarrant Rushton) when announcements are made over the Tannoy loudspeakers for either aircrew or logistic activities what is the sort of phrases and type of language used. The other situation is, as part of a mission where a large convoy of bomber and supply planes are flying in formation is there, radio communication from the squadron leader and any phrases applicable for coming under artillery attack. I have read posts on this forum where radio communications believed they were secure as they were short range which turn out not to be correct or was it mandatory to maintain radio silence. I have come across a post quite a few years earlier on this forum named "Communication from Master Bomber" which is already quite helpful but not really the situation I am researching.
    I realise this may sound quite vague but in my research there is very little I have been able to find about this, I do hope that some members here can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated.
    All the best
    Antony Gray

Thanks

Default Re: Looking for examples of RAF WWII communication.

I cannot specifically comment on the communications with operation Market Garden, but for Bomber Command operations and with Pathfinders, the Master Bomber used code phrases, such as “Bomb Freehand” which might refer to bomb built up areas visible through cloud. This in the event that marking was inaccurate. There was not a lot of chatter. I have some documents at home as to how some of this was controlled. Note that for Bomber Command, instructions were relayed to stations by means of the teleprinter, and the documents in question being termed the “Form B” these are available at the national archives at Kew. I am pretty sure there would be similar documents at the National Archives at Kew for the operations you seek. I don’t know what the “air” file numbers these are, but they may already be referenced in a good history of OMG.

Perhaps more relavent for Market Garden may be the the methods used by Bomber Command for Gaggle formations. Some of these details were still being worked out at the time of MG.

Finally, highly unlikely anything of note would be broadcast over a Tanoy system!

Jim

Thanks

Default Re: Looking for examples of RAF WWII communication.

Thank you very much for your reply Jim, yes it is the talk used by Bomber Command for Gaggle formations that I am specifically looking for, while the operation is still underway and before they reach their designated objectives not specifically the commands relating to bombing. Thank you for putting me on the right track.
    Yes you are right, it would be highly unlikely that anything of note would be broadcast aver the Tannoy system. It is more that I am trying to get a feel of the type of language and any specific phrases that would have been used. In short, I am trying to get an accurate idea what a RAF base sounded like seventy five years ago.

Antony