Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Category letters in the 'reason' column on service record.

Thanks

Default Category letters in the 'reason' column on service record.

Hi there. I was looking at my fathers service records and there are several things im having trouble with trying to understand.
    Category 'H' in the 'reason' column.
    Also there is in the 'Unit to..' column 10(s) RC and underneath that is 2 S S With three 'H's next to it.
    and finally further down there is what looks to be 7B.SQ?U?. I have no idea what that relates to.
    I would really appreciate some help please :) cheers.

mel
    Last edited by Musketmel; 25th September 2020 at 15:44.

Thanks

Default Re: Category letters in the 'reason' column on service record.

Home

Headquarters Holding Home

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2020 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thank you :D

Thanks

Mel,

Was your father a wireless operator/air gunner? If so, I'll take a stab at "2 SS" being No.2 Signals School, located at Yatesbury. One more stab. "10(S) RC" is No.10 (Signals) Reception Centre at Blackpool. Blackpool was where many underwent initial RAF training.

George Plank, my mother's first husband (shot down & killed over Rangoon) did some training at No.10 (Signals) Reception Centre in Blackpool, starting on 13 Oct 1941. He also attended No.2 Signals School at Yatesbury, starting on 5 February 1942. At that school, he flew aboard Dragon Rapide Dominies while learning to be a wireless operator. Any chance your father was at these schools at the same time?

George also attended No.7 Air Gunnery School at Stormy Down, Wales, starting 31 March 1943. Here he attained his air gunner rating. Might "7B.SQ?U?" somehow be this?

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks

Hi

No.10 (Signals) Reception Centre should be No.10 (Signals) Recruit Centre not Reception.

7B.SQ?U?. could this be 7 (Bomber) Sqn (Unit)?

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi ther thanks for your input guys. Yes my father was a wireless operator. Ive since found out that 10 (s) RC was at Blackpool Radio school In march 1942. 2SS is indeed yatesbury also in april 1942 Plus the other query was 7BSU is number 7 Base Signal Unit part of air command in SEAC.aug 1945 linking him possibly to unit 221/224 and Imphal. Also in the reason column there is a G3 and an 'x' not sure what they mean.
    He was at 247 AMES May 43 possibly at Ramree. And at 364 AMES Sometime between 43-45 chittagong? Then maybe to aykab? Then at 7BSU Then he was at Kallang from Jan-april 46.

Thanks

He also referenced Rangoon and bengal when he did speak about it but it was very sketchy and something he really didnt want to talk about. Which is a shame. Im trying to get some kind of timeline of his service out in Burma and India. Ive worked out quite a few of the PDCs and RCs etc but not much in the way of his actual whereabouts. Im getting indications it may have been Imphal, not sure about Kohima. But he did talk about he would send intel about the whereabouts of enemy aircraft etc "mosquitos" etc. Which tie in with 221 at 7BSU. Plus im in the look out for pictures for the various stations he was at. The jore ive fund out the more questions i have lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    Hi

No.10 (Signals) Reception Centre should be No.10 (Signals) Recruit Centre not Reception.

7B.SQ?U?. could this be 7 (Bomber) Sqn (Unit)?

Malcolm
    Thanks, Malcolm. I hate it when I realize (um, realise to you) I've passed on erroneous info, as false info often gets taken as correct and then passed onward, adding to the potential for further error in the future. I'm pleased to be corrected.

Thanks

I also need to know the location of Number 3 personnel dispatch centre. It doesnt appear to be listed anywhere.
    Cheers
    Mel

Thanks

Mel,
    By the very low number, I presume this PDC was in the UK, so I am thinking some keen type will post the answer pretty soon.
    David D