Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canberra Crash at Bassingbourne, 24 July 57

Thanks

Default Canberra Crash at Bassingbourne, 24 July 57

My apologies for posting this question which falls beyond the scope of World War Two. But I was not sure as to which place i can go for such information.

I am looking for details of a Canberra Crash at Bassingbourne, Herts, England on 25 July 1957. Two Indian Air Force officers were killed in the accident. Flt. Lt. Seerala Hari Kumar Naidu was the pilot. I do not know the name of the Navigator killed in the accident.

The request comes form his nephew in India and he (and I ) would appreciate any additional details on the accident and how it happened. Any information on the causes of the accident, if the accident reports can be procured from any source? who was the navigator? anything !

TIA

-Jagan
    Last edited by Jagan; 10th July 2014 at 15:42. Reason: Changed title to reflect corrct date of crash

Thanks

Though a day earlier Canberra WE114 seems to be a good candidate:

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=20539

A

Thanks

The Accident Report seems to be available from Kew:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=360476&F ullDetails=True&Gsm=2008-02-12&j=1

A

Thanks

Amrit, thanks! looks like a very close possibility. It was a night accident and thats the same the ASN DB also reports. perhaps the confusion between late 24th night and it being reported on 25th may be understandable.

Pending confirmation about the crew names - I will help the family get the NA archives copy of the report.

Thanks

Mike Bennett of the Ejection History Website confirms its the same Canberra.

24‑Jul‑57 RAF Canberra B2 WE114 231 OCU
    RAF Bassingbourn Overshot and crashed into ground
    Flight Lieutenant S H NAIDU Indian Air Force killed
    Flight Lieutenant D P PANDEY Indian Air Force killed

Thanks

folks, need some advice.

The person trying to find out information from NA asked for a Quote about the accident report and he was quoted 319.50 - thats approx 800 pages! obviously it was a bit too high on the wallet. Are 800 pages normal for an accident report? (Link : http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=360476&CATLN=6&H ighlight=&FullDetails=True )

I want to advice him to ask for a requote but only for relevant portions of the report - is there any particular section that one may advice him to seek out for? like an accident summary or any chapter on conclusion - what would be the best part of the report that would be ideal for them?

Thanks

After five years, received the following from the gentleman who made the inquiry

By some God-sent opportunity, I could come to London, went over to the National Archives, got the Readers Ticket and accessed my Uncle's Accident Inquiry Report. I have photos of the entire report. Read quite a bit of it............................................My profound thanks to you for showing me all the paths without giving up. But for you, my quest would have remained unfulfilled. I have the satisfaction that perhaps a component was changed and an additional flight drill was introduced as a result of the crash
    Ofcourse.. The credit goes to the help received from the forum. for pointing me (and him ) in the right direction..

Thanks

Hi, I'm currently researching the accidents that befell 231 OCU Canberras from and around Bassingbourn, and would really appreciate any photos and information that you could share regarding the loss of WE114. I understand control was lost during a night BABS approach? Also do you know the name of the third crew member who sadly lost his life, as we would like to add him to our list of aircrew lost during their training at RAF Bassingbourn.

I am a member of The Tower Museum which is based on the old airfield and housed in the original control tower - and which is open on the second and fourth Sunday of the month as per our website, and II can supply a photo of the crash site of WE114 as taken this week if it's of any use!? The museums Canberra displays are currently undergoing a revamp to better tell the story of the airfields use during the Cold War period.!

Rob

www.towermuseumbassingbourn.co.uk
    Last edited by Robbo1966; 9th July 2014 at 07:44.

Thanks

Robbo1966, Hi,

Yr 3rd man might (rpt, might) be Roy V Taylor aged 33. Pandey is on p221 of the Reg, and Naidu and Taylor on p222. No other likely candidates (age-wise!) for a couple of pages either side, but I’m not clever enough to strain an ‘R. V. Taylor’ out of the vast amounts of LG garbage (Ross’ search engines don’t go out to 1957!!).

I once did a Det to Bassingbourn in early 60’s. IIRC to get up to Local, in the TWR, there was an iron ladder and a trap-door!! Still there?

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Robbo1966, Hi,

Got 'im (I think?!) Roy Vernon Taylor Commissioned (1892100) 4 May 50. You can fossick from here!!

He was clearly Commissioned from Enlisted, as the LG give both his Enlisted and Officer numbers. But they are the same (that threw me a bit)! So (Malcolm Barrass to pronounce!!) by May 1950 yr number did not change from Enlisted to Officer status. At what point, precisely, did this change occur?

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 10th July 2014 at 13:42. Reason: Duff date! and subsequent Enlisted/Commissioned waffle
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!