Thread: Sgt. P Maloney 405 Squadron

Thanks

Default Sgt. P Maloney 405 Squadron

Hoping for some help finding out a bit more about this fellow.
    I believe that Sgt. P Maloney was the mid upper gunner with the Stovel crew at Topcliffe in October of 1942. When the Squadron was transferred to RAF Beaulieu that month it appears he did not go with his crew, because their new MU Gunner
    was Sgt. Ken Hart once they commenced anti sub operations.
    Can anyone tell me what happened to Maloney?
    Many thanks! Clint

Thanks

Default Re: Sgt. P Maloney 405 Squadron

Hello,
    I have no idea whether this is the Sgt P. MALONEY you are looking for but just maybe ?

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...php?qnum=28349

Alex

Thanks

Hello,

Your man?

1250914 Patrick MALONEY DFM (136723) (MID).

Injured 6/7-9-1942, No.49 Sqn Lancaster I R5752 ex-DUISBURG - see BCL3/205.

and ...

18-8-1944
    No.83 Sqn
    Lancaster III PB188.
    Op: L'Isle-Adam.

Aircraft had instrument problems. D. [sic] Maloney DFM baled out but hit aircraft tail plane. Aircraft landed safely at base (p.293).

136723 F/Lt Patrick MALONEY DFM (MID) +

Flight Lieutenant Verron DFC and Bar with PB 188 had been one of the first to bomb the target, although without seeing any results. During the return flight while in cloud over Peterborough, and letting down for Coningsby, his gyro toppled. Being unaware of this fact, he relied on the artificial horizon with complete confidence, the result was the aircraft did a half roll and broke cloud at 2,500 feet in a dive. Verron warned the crew to stand by while he got the Lancaster back on an even keel. Both the gunners and the wireless operator, thinking the aircraft was in real trouble, broke their intercom connections and without waiting to hear their pilot's instructions, baled out. He very quickly gained control and made a perfect landing at Coningsby, his gunners had to be collected from the local police station, where the locals had made quite a fuss of them. The Wireless Operator was not so lucky, Flight Lieutenant P. Maloney D.F.M. died when he struck the tail plane (pp.186-7).

See:
    83 Squadron 1917 - 1969.
    Low,Ronald G. & Frank E. Harper.
    R. G. Low:Humberston,1992.
    pp.186-7 & 293

DISTINGUISHED FLYING MEDAL.

MALONEY, Patrick. 1250914 Sergeant, No.49 Sqn.
    L.G. 29/12/1942. Sorties 32, Flying hours 194.10. Wireless Operator. AIR/16183.

Sergeant Maloney has been in this squadron since October, 1941, and has completed 32 sorties of 194.10 hours. He has completed 15 sorties with Pilot Officer Jefferys and on the last occasion on which he flew with him, the Captain baled out the remainder of the crew with the exception of the Wireless Operator on returning to this country from an attack on Duisburg. On this occasion, Pilot Officer Jefferys attempted to land at Martlesham and he retained his Wireless operator in order that he could assist him and operate the emergency undercarriage system. Sergeant Maloney carried out this task on this occasion coolly and correctly, but it is unfortunate that the third engine failed after reaching the coast and the aircraft crashed. Sergeant Maloney's work has always been of the highest order to which I can personally testify. He carried out his duty coolly and and calmly when in difficulties and is of considerable assistance to his Navigator and to the Captain. For his long record of good work in the air and on the ground. I recommend the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.

27 October, 1942.

See:
    The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War with Official Recommendation Details. Vol.II, K-Z.
    Tavender,Ian.
    London:Savannah,2000.
    p.207.

Col
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 26th September 2021 at 03:30.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to COL BRUGGY For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (27th September 2021)

Thanks

Thank you both for your help....this could be the fellow, I will dig into it a bit deeper. Much appreciate the lead!
    Clint