Thread: ATC Cadets on Runnymede Memorial

Thanks

Default ATC Cadets on Runnymede Memorial

Cadet D.Andrews and Cadet F.Percival of 1247 Sqdn are remembered on the Runnymede Memorial 11-07-42. What were the circumstances of their deaths ?
    Chris

Thanks

Chris.

I suspect that they were involved in a crash incident, the ATC were active and taken on air experience flights from several aerodromes during WWII. Are they not listed on any website.

Thanks

Hi Chris
    Runnymede means no known grave so they could have come down in the sea and not been recovered. Neither name comes on the England and Wales death register on Ancestry and whilst that could mean registration in Scotland it is not common for the death of someone on Runnymede to be registered ,reflecting the ways they could be lost without trace. CWGC have Percival as coming from Cumberland and it is likely that, if on Air Experience, he/they were close to home, perhaps somewhere like Silloth, and met their end in Scotland or in the local sea area. Their names may crop up in a publication of Air crash sites, I would suggest Cumberland or S Scotland, which would often have details of a/c that were known to have been lost but not recovered
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Chris,

There are contact details for the current 1247 Sqdn ATC at this link
    http://www.1070atc.co.uk/air-training-corps-1070-atc-squadron-finder/air-training-corps-atc-squadron-details.php?sqn=1247--penrith-air-training-corps-atc

Perhaps if you dropped them a mail they would be able to assist?

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Hello All,

From the 'Old Board':

Cadets D Andrews (16) and F Percival (16) were lost with all others aboard Hudson T9353 of 1(C)OTU Silloth which crashed into the Solway Firth shortly after take-off. They are also commemorated at Runnymede.

Perhaps Ross could help with crew.

Above info from Colin Mackenzie, from a special Roll of Honour, compiled by Eddie Doylerush, published in the August, 1992 edition of the Air Cadet News.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 28th September 2009 at 13:12. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Many thanks to all those who contributed to this thread.

A useful reminder to me COL of how to access posts on the 'Old Board'

Chris

Thanks

Default Hudson T9353

Also on the Runnymede:
    P/O F.W. WALKER - DFC - 48154 and F/Sgt T.C. ROBINSON - RCAF R/86863.

Henk.

Thanks

Chris,

I have a photograph of the two lads, if you would like a copy, please get in touch at awarculus@xtra.co.nz

Cheers,
    Digger (Former member of 1345 (Malden & Coombe) Sqdn ATC 1941-1945)

Thanks

Default Re: ATC Cadets on Runnymede Memorial

I just want to add to this post as the co-pilot/trainee was my Great Uncle (Thomas Claire Robinson). I recently got access to his military records an included in those was the "Proceedings of court of inquiry of investigation." It was through this report I started to look into the others killed in the crash which led me here. So it was not until I found this site did I realized how young the two cadets were. The cause of the crash was stated in the report as "Unknown. All that can be ascertained is that the aircraft was apparently out of control when leaving the cloud until near the water, when sufficient control was regained to flatten out. The engines appear to have been running satisfactorily." If anyone else as any information of this crash I would be greatly appreciated of any info. I could also supply the report if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Default Re: ATC Cadets on Runnymede Memorial

What a wonderful illustration of the long-term reference that posts here offer, as new member GRobinson has found, 11 years later.
    His addnl info shows again the dangers of war service, even for young ATC cadets.

Since early Sep, the Casualty db here also includes a roll for ATC Cadets.
    http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...php?qforce=ATC
    And the RAF Serials db records the loss of Hudson T9353 and crew (F/Sgt Robinson & P/O Walker) /ATC passengers (Cadets Anderson & Percival).

Thanks to the efforts of Jagan as owner and IT chief, with other members.
    As part of the set-up, GRobinson, your latest post will now automatically appear as part of those records.

Footnote:
    Long term reference. It's that possible use which, for example, impels me to give as much detail (and sources) as possible in my posts.
    Not that mine are any more useful than many others but in the hope that any post of that sort might one day help any future person interested in the RAF & Commonwealth Air Forces in War.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 1st October 2020 at 01:15.
    Toujours propos