Thread: Unaccounted Pilots in CWGC Project

Thanks

Default Unaccounted Pilots in CWGC Project

I still have the following "Unaccounted" Airmen whose trade is listed as "Pilot" and I am hoping a bulk of these are aircraft related. about 161 names.. Do any of them ring any bells?

Link: http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...pt=Pilot&qt=UN
    Last edited by Jagan; 28th October 2020 at 04:42.

Thanks

Default Re: Unaccounted Pilots in CWGC Project

THOMAS MEADE BERTRAM NEWTON

National probate says he died at Cranfiekd Aerodrome 23 Oct 1940

Thanks

See Malcolm's Casualty rolls, Members Area, www.rafweb.org:

I'll try a few...

Newton "He was serving with No 14 SFTS when he died at RAF Cranfield, Buckinghamshire, from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head and is buried in Cranfield (SS Peter and Paul) Churchyard."
    Hungerford - no entry RAFweb.org
    Cook "...No 9 EFTS when he died on active service*, his death being registered in Birmingham and is buried in Kensington (Gunnersbury) Cemetery".
    Blackstock - no entry
    Hullneck "...serving at AHQ India, and was killed in a road traffic accident. He is buried in Gauhati War Cemetery."
    Cradduck "...serving with No 10 OTU at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained. His death was registered in Oxford. He is buried in South Ealing Cemetery."
    Johnson 1386549 "...died from injuries sustained on 8 Feb 1942 whilst flying in Tiger Moth II, T6747 of No 29 EFTS, which collided with T7233 of the same unit near Clyffe Pypard. He is buried in Farnborough Cemetery."
    and so on...

You might like to continue from there, Jagan, when you've time?
    Cheers

cut & paste bludners aplenty, fixed, must be time for a cuppa.
    *See #4
    Last edited by Don Clark; 30th September 2020 at 02:32. Reason: addin a few RAFWeb.org entries + 3 oops
    Toujours propos

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Clark For This Useful Post:

Jagan (29th September 2020)

Thanks

A few more maybe of help...to the end of 1942.
    E&OE - I seem to be making a few more mistakes than usual at present.
    All the best with this Jagan, and all credit to Malcolm Barrass.

Field "...No 2 Initial Training Wing at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained. His death was registered in Cambridge."
    Jones "...killed whilst flying in Hudson III, T9431 of No 206 Sqn, which crashed on take off from Aldergrove."
    Luxon "...No 2 METS at the time of death but the circumstances of have yet to be ascertained"
    Stammers "...killed whilst flying in Hurricane IIB, Z5654 of No 33 Sqn, which dived into the ground at Sidi Haneish."
    Dingley "...No 107 MU at the time of his death, but the circumstances have not yet been identified."
    McGuire "...No 3 Personnel Reception Centre at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained. His death was registered in Knaresborough."
    Seddon "No 50 Group Pool at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained. His death was registered in Chippenham."
    Passmore "...No 1444 (Ferry Training) Flight at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained.
    Potts "...No 51 OTU at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained. His death was registered in Ampthill."
    Greaney "...No 301 MU at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained."
    Berrington "...No 12 OTU at the time of his death, which probably occurred in the RAF Hospital, Halton as his death was registered in Aylesbury."
    Miller "...killed whilst flying in a Hurricane of the WD Comm Sqn, which was lost on this date."
    Hampton "...RAF Heaton Park at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained. His death was registered in Macclesfield."
    Oldfield "...killed whilst flying in Baltimore III, AG967 of No 119 MU, which dived into the ground shortly after taking off from Shaibah."
    Ware "...No 108 MU at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained."
    Spencer "..serving in the UK at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained. His death was registered in Southampton."
    Owen-Jones "...with No 16 EFTS at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained. His death was registered in Westminster (Thomas O Jones - 28). "
    Dolphin "...29 OTU at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained. His death was registered in Stamford."
    Brewer "...serving with No 272 Sqn at the time of his death, the circumstances of which have yet to be ascertained."

Source as #3: Casualty rolls, Members Area, www.rafweb.org

*Footnote

At the time, the frequent Air Ministry Casualty Communiques used a set of headings which distinguished broadly between losses in action vs those on active service, for example:

Killed in action, Missing believed killed in action, Missing in action: due to flying operations against the enemy;
    Killed on active service: ground casualties due to enemy action, non-operational flying casualties, fatal accidents;
    Died on active service: natural deaths.

Sources: 211 Squadron Honour roll & AMBs, Flight issues, corresp E Martyn
    Last edited by Don Clark; 30th September 2020 at 02:50.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Hi Don, i had been working the list a bit too . Trying to validate secondary sources as well.

Stammers "...killed whilst flying in Hurricane IIB, Z5654 of No 33 Sqn, which dived into the ground at Sidi Haneish."
    Doesnt match another page I found on the net

23.5.42/0947 33 sqn. Overclaiming: the only other loss was Z5654/T of Sgt. H M Laflamme badly damaged, pilot safe
    (versus 4 applicable claims in total)

The ORB mentions Laflamme but no mention of Stammers

That being said, Malcolm's site is helping me bring some of the open records to a close.

Thanks

May I add some details for Thomas NEWTON. London Gazette states 20-5-39, Flying Officer (Honorary Flight Lieutenant) Lt. Thomas Meade Bertram NEWTON (RARO). 1940 Air Force List shows his Commission was of the "CC" variety. Surrey in the Great War website states relating to Edith Marjorie FOLKARD "husband was Captain Thomas Meade Bertram NEWTON 5th Hampshires, 2nd Border Regiment and Royal Flying Corps. Regimental number 1668, wounded 18-02-18."

I believe Cranfield was under air attack in August September October 1940. I wonder if that stirred up something in his mind from the previous war?

Regards
    Squawk.

Thanks

May I add some details for Thomas NEWTON. London Gazette states 20-5-39, Flying Officer (Honorary Flight Lieutenant) Lt. Thomas Meade Bertram NEWTON (RARO). 1940 Air Force List shows his Commission was of the "CC" variety. Surrey in the Great War website states relating to Edith Marjorie FOLKARD "husband was Captain Thomas Meade Bertram NEWTON 5th Hampshires, 2nd Border Regiment and Royal Flying Corps. Regimental number 1668, wounded 18-02-18."

I believe Cranfield was under air attack in August September October 1940. I wonder if that stirred up something in his mind from the previous war?

Regards
    Squawk.

Thanks

According to "Wealth and Notoriety the extraordinary families of William Levy and Charles Lewis of London" by Robert Ward, Gilbert Hullneck was born 21-01-19 in Blantyre Nyasaland/Malawi, educated at Plumtree Boarding School Southern Rhodesia, and was involved in a fatal motorcycle accident near Gauhati.

Regards

Squawk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Squawk For This Useful Post:

Jagan (5th October 2020)

Thanks

Hello

Sergeant ROBERT CHARLES LUXON - his death was reported in the Walsall Observer and Staffordhire Chronicle of May 23rd 1942, which recorded his 'death due to injuries...in a Middle East Hospital.'

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England