Thread: DFC to 106979 SHEPHARD H R

mcg Guest

Default DFC to 106979 SHEPHARD H R

Can anyone shed any light on the career and/or DFC citation of this officer [Flight Lt] who died while serving with 525 Sqdn.

Thanks

Michael

Thanks

There are a group in France who are erecting a memorial to this crash who I have been helping trace relatives of the various airmen killed. Thay have quite a lot of information about Harry Shephard which they have shared with me and that they received from Harry's younger sister who was very close to her brother. He trained in Canada then served in the Middle East completing 72 sorties.

The Frenchmen researching these men are at chartier.ruaudin@wanadoo.fr

HTH

Howard

mcg Guest

Thanks for that Howard. Joan [Harry's sister] has asked my father to let her know what he remembers and he has, in turn, asked me to find out whatever I can. Harry and my father are first cousins, making Harry and Joan also cousins to me.

There is some confusion as Joan seems to think that the DFC was awarded posthumously - at least according to my father - but it was gazetted in August 1945. They have sent me copies of some of Bim's [Harry was known to the family as "Bim"] service records to see if I can decipher what is meant by some entries. This is a task with which I shall need some help, particularly for one entry which reads: "HQT Unit for duty with MTP Melbourne"

I presume that the flight on which these men died was a familiarisation flight for the crews as the squadron was about to be re-tasked into a transport role.

You mention 72 sorties. I suppose that most of these were in a ground support role in North Africa and the Mediterranean?

Thanks

Well Michael, you have come to the right place to get help answering your airforce related questions. M. Gerard Chartier has assembled a great deal of information relating to the loss of this Dakota. In the past week I have managed to "hunt down" two of the remaining 7 familes that he was seeking to contact.

Best wishes,

Howard

Thanks

Michael, From the LG:
    Air Ministry,
    4th November, 1941.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    To Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency):
    Sgts.
    20th Aug. 1941.
    1266578 Harry Raymond SHEPHARD (106979).

Air Ministry, 11th June 1943.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Plt. Offs. (prob.) to be Flg. Offs. on prob. (war subs.):
    20th Aug. 1942.-
    H. R. SHEPHARD (106979).

Air Ministry, 26th November, 1943.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Promotion.
    Flg. Offs. to be Flt. Lts. (war subs.).:
    H. R. SHEPHARD (106979). 20th Aug. 1943.

Air Ministry, 21st August, 1945.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards:
    Distinguished Flying Gross.
    Flight Lieutenants.
    Harry Raymond SHEPHARD (106979), R.A.F.V.R., 55 Sqn.
    The above awards are for gallantry and devotion to duty in the execution of air .operations.
    Regards, Terry