Thread: South African training schools ww2

jlewis Guest

Default South African training schools ww2

Hi, does anyone know of any sources of info about the RAF training schools/ programmes for pilots in WW2 in south africa. I am trying to find out some info about Horace John Hollinshead who trained as a pilot for the RAF in WW2 in SA. He was awarded the Pacific star so I presume he must have gone on to serve in that theatre?
    cheers james
    Last edited by jlewis; 2nd September 2008 at 20:33.

Thanks

Default SA training schools

James

Google has a little on SA WW2 training schools .Including BBC- WW2 People's war
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/

Anne

Thanks

Hi James
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a book about air schools of WW2 in SA, and there are certainly books about the Empire Air Training Scheme in general (includes Canada, USA, Australia and Rhodesia as well). I can tell you that pilot training was undertaken at a number of SA air schools including:

Elementary Flying Training - 1AS Baragwanath, 2AS @ Randfontein, 3AS @ Wonderboom, 4AS @ Benoni, 5AS @ Witbank, 6AS@ Potchefstroom, 7AS @ Kroonstad,

Service Flying Training - 21AS @ Kimberley, 22AS @ Vereeniging, 23AS @ Zwartkop (Pretoria), 24AS @ Nigel (Dunnottar), 25AS @ Standerton, 26AS @ Pietersburg, 27AS @ Bloemspruit (Bloemfontein),

Initial & Advanced Flying Training - 75AS @ Lyttelton (Pretoria)

Other aircrew (Observers, Navigators, Air Gunner etc) trained at various other Air Schools - there were about 40 altogether, scattered all over the country, but mainly in the Transvaal, Orange Free State & Eastern Cape because of their good flying weather.

If I find the reference to the book, I will post again. In the mean time, hope this helps!!
    regards
    Mel

Thanks

James,

A useful 104 page book on this subject by Capt Dave Becker was published by the SAAF Museum in c.1989. Titled 'Yellow Wings - the story of the joint air training scheme in World War 2', several second hand copies may be found advertised on www.bookfinder.com

The sub-title is a little misleading: the work is solely about the Scheme in South Africa.

Errol

jlewis Guest

cheers all, most helpful

Thanks

That's the book!!! "Yellow Wings"!! Hope you find a copy! Do you have Hollinshead's Service Records - if so, do they not tell you which Air Schools he went to? I have seen Canadian air schools listed very accurately in RAF airmen's records.
    Mel

Thanks

Default SA Air Schools

That's the book!!! "Yellow Wings"!! Hope you find a copy! Do you have Hollinshead's Service Records - if so, do they not tell you which Air Schools he went to? I have seen Canadian air schools listed very accurately in RAF airmen's records.
    Mel

Thanks

Does anyone know if the book "Yellow Wings" contains details about the various course intakes and course content at the various schools? Alternatively, does anyone have any details for 1942 / 1943?

The reason I ask is that I have downloaded the ORB's for 2, 24 and 75 Air Schools from TNA and they contain very little information regarding course intakes / content.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi Pete

The simple answer is No.

Malcolm

Thanks

That's a shame ..... my search (which may turn out to be fruitless) continues

Thanks Malcolm

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]