Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aerial Views Of UK Airports and Airfields

Thanks

Default Aerial Views Of UK Airports and Airfields

I think some forumites have found the Aerial Views Of UK Airports and Airfields website at http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/ a useful aid for research. For those not familiar with the website it provided zoomable satellite imagery of the locations of all past and present UK airfields. Sadly it is no more.

Having discovered its disappearance yesterday, I managed to contact the website's owner, Dave Robinson, and with his permission copy our emails as they explain why the site had to be retired:

1. Me. Has the UK Airfields website disappeared for good or is it searchable at a new address? Whilst my visits have been sporadic I've always found it a useful source of information.

2. Dave. Thanks for asking. It was with much regret that I had to close it down as the number of 'map impressions' permitted by Bing under 'personal'
    use conditions have been progressively reduced to the point where it became too restrictive to continue.

I still have the datasets and page generation if someone with a developer licence wants to take it on..

I'm concentrating on my aviation adverts database now...

3. Me. Many thanks for such a quick response Dave. That is such a great pity for you as I can appreciate the amount of work involved in developing the website. Unless you have any objection I will copy your advice to the RAFCommands and Great War forums as I know their contributors have found the website useful. I'll include your last sentence, and address, in case someone feels they would like to take it on.

I guess that only leaves me to say "Thank you" on behalf of those who have valued your work - and "Good luck" with the Aviation Adverts database.

4. Dave. There are many websites with databases of UK airfields, but all seem to make you go through multiple hoops to get to the 'money shot' - people prefer lists to search boxes and a single click to take them to what they're looking for.

This approach made the site extremely popular - too popular as it turned out. Someone who understands the Bing (or Google maps) terms of use could quite likely make a go of it.

I was in the process of listing WW2 airfields worldwide and separate listing for Cold War sites, so there's scope for international collaboration amongst enthusiasts... but I lost the energy for the fight after the first enforced shutdown.

So, go ahead and see if anyone has the skills to bring it back to life in a similar format. I'm happy to provide any help they would need.

As you see he was forced to cease working on the project rather than doing so voluntarily, but he would be happy to pass his files on should anyone be interested in taking it forward.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 8th October 2020 at 21:07.

Thanks

Default Re: Aerial Views Of UK Airports and Airfields

Copies of the site, seemingly fully functional, continue to exist

US Internet Archive www.archive.org
    Copies from 2007 to 2018 (numerous takes), plus one each 2019, 2020.
    The Home page airfield listing appears for each take and on selection, the airfield image will display...after an interminable wait on a 50Mb/s connection.
    Full list of takes: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...ion/airfields/

UK Web Archive (UKWA) www.webarchive.org.uk
    Appears to be a single take Apr 2013.
    Website search: https://www.webarchive.org.uk/en/ukwa/index
    UKWA archived website copies can be viewed only in the UK's deposit libraries
    List: https://www.webarchive.org.uk/en/ukwa/noresults

Dave R has now placed a friendly 404 closure & redirect notice as the Airfields page. Quick work.

Addnl: Website Archiving
    For any one wishing to know a bit more about other national website archive initiatives, I've posted some selective notes
    for future reference here: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...bsite-Archives
    Source: based on my 211 Squadron site Enquiries/Website archiving current text.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 9th October 2020 at 01:24.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

What a shame it has gone. I have spent many a lunchtime, nibbling sandwiches and happily wandering through that site. Thanks for the 'head's up.'
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Sorry, Dave, none of your links bring up the website for me; they show the link but not the website per se. For me the US Internet Archive brings up over 360,000,000 hits. If it works for you I'm obviously doing something wrong or being stoopid.

I did not mention it in my first post but the information on Dave's page only says That's all folks, it's time to move on ..... . Come and join us at Aviation Ancestry - the database of British Aviation Adverts 1909-1990. The link, not quoted in the message, is https://www.aviationancestry.co.uk/classdir/ , unfortunately the site deals only with aviation adverts.

Brian

Thanks

Brian,
    I have no connection at all with Dave R.

All my posted links work, as described and as intended.

Only one gives the Internet Archive list or map of the Airfields etc site live takes, as stated:
    "Full list of takes: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...ion/airfields/ "

The IA page shows a timeline above (of all 223 takes of the site) and a calendar below:
    in this case 2020 is highlighted in the timeline, the calendar below shows one blue dot, the last take, 13 Feb 2020.

Click either
    a) the date link February 13, 2020 above the timeline or
    b) the one black bar of 2020 in the timeline or
    c) hover the blue dot in the calendar, click the blue time stamp
    the Airfields home page/list archived at that date will then load...eventually.
    Any airfield clicked on the list will load...e v e n t u a l l y.

Click the timeline to select other sets and their calendars as wanted, for earlier copies/takes /instances.

As to the original Airfields site, clicking on the cartoon is the link/redirect which does what the message says. Nice work, that.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 9th October 2020 at 13:44.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Apologies Don, not sure why I called you 'Dave' last time (unless what remains of my grey cells confused you with the Dave Clark Five - now that dates me).

I'm afraid it still doesn't work for me. Yes, the list of airfields came up fast enough, so I clicked on one at random (Twatt in the Orkneys); that was at 1.50 pm, but when I returned an hour later, after walking my dogs, there was nothing there other than the page heading - no image below it.

Brian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post
    I'm afraid it still doesn't work for me. Yes, the list of airfields came up fast enough, so I clicked on one at random (Twatt in the Orkneys); that was at 1.50 pm,
    it wont work as by the looks of it, it tries to invoke a microsoft maps and when web.archive.org archives it, it appends the archive site url to the start of the microsoft URL.. which doesnt work as the microsoft maps site is not on web.archive

Thanks

Thank goodness it's not just me.

Brian

Thanks

Having just checked yet again, I can only repeat that the links do work and the airfield images do appear, whichever set or airfield you choose.

Slow it surely is as I've several times pointed out.

Whether any loading problems are down to speed or due to some browser issue I cannot say.

I do, as routine and as in this case, check links before posting. Like anyone else I may make mistakes occasionally, but not in this case.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 9th October 2020 at 18:54.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Footnote: Load times test

2020 take, Feb
    Airfields list: prompt.
    South Hykeham: header first, image complete in ~2 mins

2007 take, Feb
    Airfields list; quite prompt.
    Abbeyshrule: header first, image complete in ~1 min.

Connection FTTN, current speed achieved 50mbps 0630 hrs 10 Oct

Your results may vary.

PS: Yep, the airfield images are Bing Maps imagery.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 9th October 2020 at 21:15.
    Toujours propos