Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aerial Views Of UK Airports and Airfields

Thanks

Default Re: Aerial Views Of UK Airports and Airfields

As I and, seemingly, Jagen, are getting completely different responses to Don, I wonder if a few others could try using Don's instructions in #5. It seems strange are experiences are so contrary.

Brian

Thanks

If not connection/home wifi speed related, then browser or browser settings may be getting in the way (though mine, current Windows 10, current Firefox, are set fairly "tight").

Faint parallel: Pavel's Czech Airmen site archived copy by Czech NL (see http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...710#post154710)
    will load in Edge, but not in Firefox - failing there with a moan about TLS version, which is silly but at least technically intelligible (iyswim).

Additional:

Yep, full response for Airfields site archived copies at Internet Archive is indeed browser dependent:
    Tested on MS Edge, a browser I have little use for.
    2007 take: Airfield list loaded OK. Selected an airfield: loading ceased with just an outline screen with marginal details but black image area (Refresh: same result)
    2020 take: Airfield list loaded OK. Selected an airfield: loading ceased with blue airfield header bar. (Refresh: same result)

Solution: pick another browser.
    If no luck, you might try using lower protection/privacy etc settings.
    I happen to have come to use Firefox, recently, having tried several others after finally ditching Internet Explorer 11.
    MS Edge is still on my machines only because the MS drones do not permit deletion.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 9th October 2020 at 23:30.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Just grey areas where the maps (lababelled as Bing) should be on different year/dates and on Edge, Chrome and Firefox. This doesn't surprise me as a lot of things seem to fail for a multitude of reasons that are never explained in a mortal language. Still at least our "user experience" has been enhanced by those various "improvements".

Apart from different browser settings there is also things like Flash and Java to consider, but I suspect some of the blame may be with ISP's as this may be one variable not often considered.

Peter

Thanks

It's a pity that the archived sets are so erratically perniketty, as DaveR had pulled together a fascinating resource.

While all airfields/dates work if erratically slowly for me, it's equally a shame to have toiled so much in posting about what is plainly more of an irritation for readers than a useful backup.

I do strive for accuracy in posts, both in writing and in testing any links. All to little avail here. No, no, don't thank me - I'm too irritated to reply politely.

As a generality, IT expertise ought not to be needed to access a site, archived or otherwise, and if there's a specific bug, the site ought to flag it for the reader in clear terms.

Equally, it is a fact that the Internet Archive is an imperfect hoover of sites for technical reasons which, with yet further toil, I could unearth but won't.
    By choice, my site isn't archived there: the hash made of early edns was memorable.

The weather's good, the grass needs a cut, and the bikes are muttering in the shed, "when do we get a ride"?

I'll leave you with it.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

@Lyffe I am a web developer, and might be interested in hosting and fixing the site issues if Dave is happy to turnover the site (zip?) files

Thanks

Reply sent off-board.

Brian