Thread: S/L W.B.HAY - English-bred Yank in the RCAF

Thanks

Default S/L W.B.HAY - English-bred Yank in the RCAF

I find Squadron Leader W.B.Hay an interesting individual. He was born in New York but moved to England, age 3, attending St Aubeyn's and later, Stowe School. (a relatively prestigious school) He then returned to the States to attend Yale and eventually joined the Royal Canadian Air Force to see action as fighter pilot from 1941-1945. Sadly, he passed away in 2012. Most of what I have written above only comes from his obituary and I would love to find out more about him as a fighter pilot during the war. I would be interested to know if any of the members here could help me piece more info on S/L Hay's time in the RCAF during the war?

Such as the type of aircraft he flew, any notable mentions?, any photos of him in RAF kit and did he get any kills/kill-shares or anything of that sort? (He did receive a DFC in 1944 but not sure of what? One source says it was from a successful bailout in the Mediterranean?)

Thanks in advance!

With best wishes,

yeoldbarn

Thanks

Default Re: S/L W.B.HAY - English-bred Yank in the RCAF

Hello,

Go to: https://www.rcafassociation.ca/herit...tname&type=all

and click on the right Hay.

His RCAF service file is off limits until November 2032.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Hello,

Plenty of gaps/omissions in Hugh's summary:

W B Hay initially served on No.242 Squadron. He accompanied the unit to Gibraltar, and then moved on to Malta. Late in November (1941), P/O Hay had a spectacular crash (exact date unknown), overshooting Hal Far in bad visibility, and ending up in a muddy field at the end of the runway. Hay was uninjured. (Hurricanes Over Malta/Cull et al/162).

P/O Hay ended up in Egypt, serving on No.238 Squadron. He claimed a damaged Ju 87, west of El Alamein (flying Hurricane IIb 'J'), on 16th July, 1942 (HMAW2/277).

On 31 August, P/O Hay's Hurricane, BP359 'H', was hit by flak and crash-landed at base (damage Cat I). Hay was uninjured. (HMAW2/320-1). On 4th November, 1942, F/O Hay was shot down by flak at Galal (in Hurricane II HL980 'H'). He baled out safely, paddled ashore, and evaded capture*.
    (HMAW2/431).

*As related by Hugh Halliday.

Others can undoubtedly add more.

(HMAW2 = A History of the Mediterranean Air War 1940-1945 Vol.2/Shores et al).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 14th October 2020 at 13:41.

Thanks

Thank you both, Dave & COLBRUGGY! I'm new to RCAF research, so I am still learning.
    Hugh's summary mentions 'AFRO 2534/44' for his DFC citation. Is there a way to access this document? The London Gazette only mentions his name for the DFC.