Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight Archive - Search by Year!

Thanks

Default Flight Archive - Search by Year!

Folks,

somebody loves us!

Just checking the flight archives now and they have changed the search screen to include a from and too year!

Should be a great help for common names etc.

Good men those men.

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up Dennis; I've just tried it and it's very much improved. The next thing is to get them to respond to emails!

Brian

Thanks

Default Flight Archive - Search by Year!

Brian, don't annoy them, they might decide to, gulp, charge or such like.

Should be handy, I just have to figure out what searches I'd given up on over the last few months!

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

They do charge - and that's my problem. I want to use one of their photos which, from my point of view is absolutely unique. It shows the Met Observatory at Upavon in 1914 - and the Met Office doesn't know there ever was a met office there - perceived wisdom is that the first airfield met office was at South Farnborough, but I've discovered Upavon predates it by 12 months. The fee is astronomical - but I must have the photo.

Brian

Thanks

They changed it in such a way that I've problems to find an airman's/airwoman's cause of death. In my previous thread I left out those names listed as having died on active service; from now on have to mention all names for a concerned date.
    (checked in the past by means of servicenumber and found the correct pdf-page).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Have you some examples Henk?

the printing of serial numbers ceases sometime in 1941 I think, might that be the problem?

having just looked I think from the June 19, 1941 issue, the use of service numbers ceases in the Roll of Honour printings.

I don't believe the search facility has changed.

Dennis
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 5th September 2008 at 12:30. Reason: added last lines
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Many thanks for letting us know Dennis, its a great improvement.

Regards
    Peter

Thanks

Dennis,
    An example: Looking for AC1 Geoffrey A. GOODWIN who died/was killed 19-4-1941. When I write his svcnr 1214045 and from-to 1941 I'll get his name (with many others), but NOT the indication "Died on active service"- "Killed on active service" - "Killed in action", etc.
    For me "Killed on active service" is important because his death most times was related to a flying accident.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand your concern Henk, but do you mean the preview text that the search engine throws up:

l F. Fauiding, 12SRS09; A/C.l 1. Fiddes, 1062637; Sgt. P. C. T.Forster, D F.M., 700529; L.A/C. M. E. Frankish, 1259896; L.A/C. J. H. Giles. 1257946; Sgt. J. E.Goldsmith, 901859; A/C.2 G. A. Goodwin, 1214045; Sgt. V. D. Hart, 745683; Sgt. J. W.Hartop 617886; A/C.2 F. Heaton, 1024463;. L.A/C. H. C. Hermon, 614311; L.A/C. A. D.Heron 647038; Act. F/O. F. Holmes, 78276; Sgt. F. E. Hubank, 961341; L.A/

That surely is because there are so many casualties for that date and the preview just does not include the heading of that particular batch?? IT goes back to Fauiding, but there are numourous names before his befor one gets to the paragraph heading.

He was when you go into the pdf file:
    KILLED ON ACTIVE SERVICE (WHILE ENGAGED ON NON OPERATIONAL FLYING DUTIES OR ON THE GROUND THROUGH ENEMY ACTION).

I still don't think there is a problem. The preview is only that, a preview, its not able to go back to a paragraph heading or anything that complex.

??

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis,
    Followed your 'wise words' and got it. It's my humble opinion the old system was easier at least for me.
    Regards,
    Henk.