Thread: Jet fighters October 1944

Thanks

Default Jet fighters October 1944

Hi,

A number of 3 Group crews reported the presence of German jet fighters on a raid against Cologne 30/31st October 1944.

Were German jet fighters operational at this time, if so what units would they have been ?

TIA

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default Re: Jet fighters October 1944

Probably the Me 262, Steve; became operational during the late summer of 1944. Quite a few hits (no pun intended) if you Google the type. I've not looked closely but I imagine the units are listed somewhere in the mix.

Brian

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyffe For This Useful Post:

Steve Smith (17th October 2020)

Thanks

At night, probably JG300. Or, apparently not.

A couple of weeks back, I obtained back issue no.60 of the French magazine Aero Journal from Aviation & Military Book Centre. It features a long article on the Wilde Sau, in which it is said that Kurt Welter began trials work on the Me 262 night fighter from mid-September 1944, operating from Rechlin, and between then and mid January claimed 2 Lancasters and 5 Mosquitos. The operational unit 10/NJFG.11 was formed 25th January 1945.

So it is possible that Welter was airborne on the night of 30/31st October. However IIRC around this time a number of sightings were claimed, no doubt because the gunners were alerted to the possibility, so perhaps someone can confirm that Welter flew against the Cologne raid that night.
    Last edited by Graham Boak; 18th October 2020 at 14:03.

Thanks

Hi,

It is unlikely that they actually met any jet fighters at night. See this thread http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...&highlight=jet

Peter

Thanks

Chuckle! I’ve forgotten that exchange. I’ve talked to Rod several times since then and there is no new information. In his logbook, Dad recorded seeing 2 n/f, (one jet-propelled) on the raid to Oberhausen, November 1/2, 1944. The 6-Group ORB records for that night, “There were nine combats and the following claims: 1 Me 163 destroyed; 1 unidentified jet propelled aircraft destroyed; 1 FW. 190destroyed; 1 ME. 410 destroyed; 1 unidentified aircraft probably destroyed and 1 ME. 109 1JU.88 and 1 unidentified twin engine aircraft damaged.” So the myth went all the way up to Group level.

Edit: I should add that during subsequent discussions on this issue, Rod felt the observations of jets in November 1944, may have been V-1s directed towards Antwerp.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 18th October 2020 at 21:56.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JDCAVE For This Useful Post:

Steve Smith (22nd October 2020)

Thanks

Certainly the idea of an Me.163 night fighter is patently unlikely. To put it kindly. Whether such a clear view of the fighter's capabilities and limitations was widespread in the RAF in late 1944 is another matter. However, as at least one jet night fighter was flying missions in this period, it would be unwise to discount all such accounts. It is probably no longer possible to track all Kommando Welter's sorties, but perhaps plotting a reasonable sortie radius from Rechlin would help rule out most cases?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham Boak For This Useful Post:

Steve Smith (22nd October 2020)