Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colour WWII photos

Thanks

Default Re: Colour WWII photos

My issue is with the licencing fees and not the charges for reproduction, which, on the whole are reasonable. It is not financially viable for an amateur to publish a book with any illustrations from the war period and even with a limited run of less than 300 copies the cost is immense, depending how many illustrations of course. How many valuable references are not published or illustrated due to this? I have redrawn many technical drawings but struggle to redraw photos as my artistic skills only stretch to 2D. I have bought up a load of wartime manuals, maps and charts so can use those freely but many manuals have not appeared in online auctions or if they do they go for vast amounts. Although buying these things is a cost my spending price limit and the fact that most purchases would yield multiple illustrations means they work out a lot cheaper than licencing. Sadly my price limit meant I lost a lot of very useful and rare illustrations.

I should add that I never expect to make any money on a book as I don't think anyone would pay 100 per copy but then again I don't want it to be financially crippling, being a pensioner!

Thanks

PNK.
    I understand exactly what you mean and find myself in a similar position - but with an American archive. I had found some excellent images to illustrate an article I was working on. However, the prices and restrictions on use required by the Smithsonian archive meant the neither my publisher, or I, wished to make use of them. We all lost out - as will the reader of my piece.
    Freshman

Thanks

No one minds paying a reasonable fee to get a copy of an image but I couldn't agree more on the subject of licencing fees, the costs are outrageous and the hoops you have to jump through to use the image make it prohibitive for most amateur historians/researchers. Unless you are big organisation or have deep pockets it is just not viable.
    Last edited by Andy Fletcher; 25th October 2020 at 13:26. Reason: Typo