Thread: 182 Squadron target, 20th December 1943

Thanks

Default 182 Squadron target, 20th December 1943

hello,

I'd like to know if someone can help me with the primary target of No. 182 Squadron on 20th December 1943. After a spell of bad weather, the Squadron was at last able to make a sortie. 12 Typhoons took off led by W/C WALKER. On the way to the target, F/Sgt WILKINSON (RAAF) collided with F/O SHIELDS. The latter was able to fly back to Merston but WILKINSON crashed near Tortefontaine (Pas-de-Calais) where he's buried.
    The target near Hesdin was hidden by clouds and Rang du Fliers (between Montreuil-sur-Mer and Berck-sur-Mer) was attacked one more time.

What was the target near Hesdin ? a noball site (Crossbow started at about that time) ?

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

Joss.

Nothing in 2nd TAF books...have checked my other books and drawn a negative on your question, sorry for that.

I have a group to Coxhead 182 Sqd Pilot. He flew 15/12/43 special target Rhubarb. It was St Agathe V1 site only two aircraft flew. Next sortie was 21/12/43 Dive Bombing.

Colin.

Thanks

hello,

Thank for trying. It's not mentioned in "2nd TAF" by Shores & Thomas, and the demise of F/Sgt WILKINSON is purely forgotten in FCL volume 2...

I met Douglas COXHEAD many many years ago. What do you mean by "I have a group to Coxhead 182 Sqd Pilot" ?

Hesdin area had been raided previously, there was an ammunition dump in the forest, but when "crossbow" started, in december 1943, "Noball" sites in the Hesdin area were also attacked, and the form 540 of ORB was not clear about it. May be some more details in the Form 541, but I don't have it so far.

Joss

Thanks

I don't have any info on the mission but Thomas and Shores' Typhoon & Tempest Story gives Wilkinson's aircraft as JP605, which collided with JP725. Interestingly, they claim Wilkinson as POW (obviously incorrect)

A

Thanks

hello,

Thanks to you all.

I managed to find that the target was a "special target east of Hesdin", so although unnamed, it looks like a "noball site". As it was not bombed, it's not possible to find a French report about this attack.

Cheers

Joss

Thanks

Hello

I'm able to answer my own query : The target was Eclimeux, indeed a noball target, which was also the target of No. 175 Squadron that afternoon. Neither Squadron was able to bomb the target due to weather, and opportunity targets were bombed instead.

Joss