Thread: Typhoons at Llanbedr

Thanks

Default Typhoons at Llanbedr

Hello all,
    I am trying to collate serials and letters of Typhoons that were at Llanbedr during March/April 1944.
    Of the eleven aircraft flown there by 193 Squadron, could some kind soul confirm the serials of ‘DP-A, P, R, and S' during this period?
    I have so far-
    JR368 ‘B’
    MN113 ‘X’
    MN146 ‘D’
    DN256 ‘K’
    MN267 (either ‘R’ or ‘S’)
    Many thanks
    Ian

Thanks

Default Re: Typhoons at Llanbedr

Hello Ian
    You have picked the most difficult period for accurate information on Typhoon allocations and movements as well as a difficult unit, which did not record codes or serials on its Form 541. However I note that it does record some codes for aircraft some of the aircraft proceeding to Llanbedr for APC and you have identified a few more, apparently from 'Pete' Langille's log.

The difficulty with movements springs from seeming abandonment of normal reporting procedures during the chaotic spring of 1944 - especially for Typhoons as units were re-equipping with modified aircraft and the Airfields (Wings) were in the throes of reorganisation, sometimes exchanging aircraft. However I have been able to piece together what I think is a complete list of codes for the 11 Typhoons which were sent to Llanbedr, and identities for 10 of them (albeit a couple with 'health warnings'). The information came from other pilots logs who attended the APC.

A n/k
    B JR368
    D MN146*
    F MN462**
    G MN264
    K DN256
    L MN256
    P MN258
    R MN267
    S JP922
    X MN113

* MN146 certainly was D initially (Flt Lt Percy Beake's aircraft) but he had left the squadron in March and MN146 was taken over by Rod Davidge and was eventually recoded DP-C (which he felt stood for Damned Proud Canadian). This might explain why there was apparently a 12th Typhoon recorded at the APC - only one log entry found - 'MN971'/O. This almost certainly would have been MM971 as MN971 did not leave the production line until July 1944. This is known to have been a 257 Sqn Typhoon but both units were under the same Airfield and swapped aircraft around this period. Sometimes O and D were confused and this could be the case here. I know Langille recorded D as MN146 in his log but it was common for pilots to compile their logs from squadron records and if they were not up to date errors were passed on.
    **The Form 78 movement card for this aircraft records it as with 84 GSU on 28 March 44 and next with 193 Sqn 15 June 44. It appears on IWM film in August 44 as DP-F. The GSUs usually had the aircraft for a few days only before they were passed on to one of their operational units but these allocations were (as noted earlier) not recorded in the spring of 44. This situation was not rectified until after D-Day when squadrons began making weekly returns recording the aircraft held on charge. So it is just possible that it was a new DP-F in time for the APC trip.
    CT
    Last edited by Chris Thomas; 26th October 2020 at 20:18. Reason: typo

Thanks

Default Re: Typhoons at Llanbedr

Hi Chris,
    My sincere thanks to you for your time and help regarding this, and for your interesting narrative relating to this confusing period. When I downloaded 193’s ORB I realised this was not going to be easy to say the least!!! I never thought that I would end up with the whole ‘set’ – much appreciated! At least the other squadrons’ 541’s have serials which I can hopefully compare either side of their APC visit. I will trawl through them in due course.
    Having read Dennis Sweeting’s book, and the ORB’s, would I be correct in assuming that 198 Sqn’s first visit to Llanbedr in March/April in 183 Squadrons’ aircraft, that this swap over of machines was deemed to be a temporary affair, and that both squadrons’ unit letters where likely to have been retained on their original aircraft?
    Ian