Thread: Rhodesian Local Enlistments November 1941

Thanks

Default Rhodesian Local Enlistments November 1941

Hi All. I am trying to trace a chap by the name of Bryan Trevor Faulkner COVENTRY, a Rhodesian who enlisted in the RAF during November 1941 and subsequently flew with No.44 Squadron in 1944-45. This led me to wonder whether a list of 'local' enlistments is available anywhere, or whether there are an any other sources to trace the early part of such recruits. Would he, for example, have been trained by the Rhodesian Air Training Group and, if so, where might its records be found? As always, any help offered will be appreciated. I have the usual London Gazette entries. Cheers all. Andrew

Thanks

Default Re: Rhodesian Local Enlistments November 1941

His service numbers are 710132 (NCO) and 160206 (Off) and from his NCO service number he enlisted in Rhodesia. So he was probably trained there.

Thanks

Andrew, Hi,
    I can’t answer your questions, but I might have found some clues that could help you.
    There were several Enlisted Blocks issued in Rhodesia:-

710061-710446, RAFVR, “Local”*, Rhodesia, 01-Nov-41
    711000-711061, RAFVR, S Africans, Rhodesia, 01-Jun-41
    777600-778999, RAFVR, Rhodesia, 01-Jun-40
    798450-798468, RAFVR, Rhodesia, 01-Jan-41
    * My understanding was that “Local” Enlistments would only be for duty in the ‘Home area’ of the Enlistee. (S)he would be subject to the Air Force Act, etc, etc. I have never been able to get this defined.

However if, as an exercise, you feed some Numbers through CWGC, or download the WW2 RAF casualties in Bulawayo (Athlone) Cemetery, you will see that there are a significant number of those Local Enlistment Numbers at rest in that cemetery (there may be others in other cemeteries?). 710061 was the first number I fed, and that came up trumps!!!
    This would seem to indicate that at least initial ‘square bashing’ was done in Rhodesia and – possibly – some primary flying instruction? But at what stage they ‘moved on’, and to where, I know not!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks to you both for your help. I can find nothing about this chap between his enlistment (11/41) and his commission (7/44). He then turns up at No.44 (Rhodesian) Squadron (8/44) having been posted in from No.51 Base. I GUESS this means that he came from one of the Bases HCUs (1654, 1660 or 1661 HCU), or 5 LFS, as he isn't listed in the Base ORB as being posted to the Base itself (which doesn't, of course, mean that he wasn't!). He is then posted from 44 Squadron, in 3/45, to 1690 B(D)TF before going to No.5 PDC pending repatriation to Rhodesia in July 1945 - and is awarded the DFC the following day. So my guess is that he did his basic training in Rhodesia and completed his operational training in the UK. But he may have flown operationally before arriving at No.51 Base - and that is really what I am trying to establish. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Cheers again, Andrew