Thread: Sudan 1939, pilot ID confirmed

Thanks

Default Sudan 1939, pilot ID confirmed

Historical curiosity.

This shot was taken by my dad, sitting in the rear gunner's seat of an #RAF Vickers Vincent single-engine biplane along the route from Khartoum to Cairo, early in May 1939.

The flight is recorded in his log, along with the pilot's name, as they were both intelligence officers and also good mates at the time.

It took 80 years, but at the end of May 2020, I put his collection of photos onto Flickr so they could be seen more widely.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/sandeh...57714487027898

A few weeks ago I received a message from Australia with someone saying that one of the shots showed his own father.

This has to be what the Interweb is for, isn't it ... so I could become friends with someone whose own father was a friend of my father, nearly a century later.

New Zealander, Sqn Ldr Dudley Marsack, RAF, at the controls of the Vincent.

I've always felt that this was one of the most evocative of all of my dad's photos, so while I was doing some darkroom work a few years ago I printed an 8x10 of the negative to hang on the dining room wall.

e004 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandeha Lynch For This Useful Post:

Jagan (25th October 2020),wwrsimon (26th October 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Sudan 1939, pilot ID confirmed

Wow! Fantastic images here all right, every one a treasure!
    David D

4. The Following User Says Thank You to David Duxbury For This Useful Post:

Sandeha Lynch (26th October 2020)

Thanks

You know, Sandeha, it is a very great pleasure to see the full set of your father's photographs and your own wonderful work in bringing them all together, since we began corresponding about some of his RAF shots way back in 2002.

I'll always be grateful for your interest in my own subject and kind permission to use a couple of his frames in that context.

Well. Fine photographs, fine digital handling of them, covering notes on his collection and your part in bringing it to life again, and documentary notes on shots/groups as well.

A wonderful body of work.
    Don
    Toujours propos

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Clark For This Useful Post:

Jagan (26th October 2020),Sandeha Lynch (26th October 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clark View Post
    You know, Sandeha, it is a very great pleasure to see the full set of your father's photographs and your own wonderful work in bringing them all together, since we began corresponding about some of his RAF shots way back in 2002.

I'll always be grateful for your interest in my own subject and kind permission to use a couple of his frames in that context.

Well. Fine photographs, fine digital handling of them, covering notes on his collection and your part in bringing it to life again, and documentary notes on shots/groups as well.

A wonderful body of work.
    Don
    Don, thank you.

No one offered, could have offered, as much help as you gave me all those years ago. I am still very grateful for the information and directional pointers, and indeed am still referring back to your own squadron history from time to time.

I'm glad you saw this. I emailed you back in the spring but the address bounced. I hope you are keeping well in these tricky times!

Cheers
    Sandeha

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandeha Lynch For This Useful Post:

Jagan (26th October 2020)

Thanks

Kind of you to say so, Sandeha - all's well enough for now. Excuse the email bounce - I've emailed you just now...

That's good news on the Aus contact re your father.

Cheers for now
    Toujours propos