Thread: Don Dale - Sgt D V Dale - 101 Squadron

Thanks

Default Don Dale - Sgt D V Dale - 101 Squadron

Hello all

I wonder if anyone could confirm the name and serial of this Sgt AG from 101 Squadron, initials in ORB are D V Dale but he is also called Don Dale in this BBC WW2 story of Jack Morley
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peo...a6039722.shtml

"Well, I found a little cockney fella, and when they told us we could form our own crews, he came to me and sez, “Now then mate, you’re a wireless operator and gunner, I’m Don Dale and this fella at the side o’ me is Ginger Congeton.” He was a tall ginger haired fella. He sez, ”We’re the two best gunners in the RAF.” He said, “We’re the top of our course.” I said, “Well I was the top of my course.” “Would yer like to fly with us?” I said, “Yes.” I got to know ‘em, we chatted. He said, “Well, I’ve been talking to two Welsh officers and they’d like to join us, so come on, we’ll go and meet them.” There I met John Arthur and Di Jones

Now, Don was 34 years old, about the oldest gunner in the RAF at the time, and Di Jones was about 28, Ginger was about 26, so I felt like a little lad at side o’ them. "

They went on to serve tour of duty with 101 Squadron it seems. Jack describes them having an accident in a Wellington on 24 Feb 1944 while with what I understand is 28 OTU flying from Castle Donnington.

Given his being said to be the 'oldest', It lines up somewhat with him being a Donald Victor DALE born 1908 and died in 1993.

I wonder if he might have been AC Donald Victor DALE 1463201 who in oct 1943 was at Bishopscourt in Northern Ireland and had to make an emergency landing here in Dublin after running into trouble in Anson LV139.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 8th November 2020 at 03:32. Reason: corrected details of 28 OTU incident
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Re: Don Dale - Sgt D V Dale - 101 Squadron

Having checked AIR78, there is only one Donald Dale with middle initial V. And its the man above, Donald Victor DALE 1463201

And there are no other Don.... names similar listed, like Donovon Dale etc
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

I can find no evidence that the crew of No.28 OTU Wellington R1269 baled out on 24 February, 1944. Air-Britain's RAF A/C P1000-R9999 (p.96), states: Wellington IC R1269 - Engine lost power on overshoot, swung and crash-landed, Castle Donington 24.2.44.

Way too low for any bale-outs!

Most of the players in the above drama are mentioned here:

6 Sep 1944
    101 Sqn
    Lancaster I LL756:SR-Q
    Op: Le Havre

T/o 1748 Ludford Magna for an evening attack on the garrison defences and equipped with ABC. Did not bomb, as instructed. On return to base at 2053 overshot the runway and crashed, no one being hurt. During the next few days a team of technicians examined the Lancaster and on their findings the airframe was struck off charge on 15 September, 1944.

F/O G H G Harris
    Sgt J A Wood*
    F/O G A Arthur*
    Sgt J Morley*
    F/O D Jones*
    Sgt D V Dale*
    Sgt V B Congerton*
    Sgt J C York

* Mentioned in Jack Morley's story - BBC WW2 People's War (the missing airman is, 1338622 Sgt (Pilot) John Frederick ROSS-MYRING RAFVR - later 186954 P/O - 103 Sqn/582 Sqn).

See:
    Royal Air Force Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War - Vol. 5 - 1944.
    Chorley,W R
    Hinckley:Midland Counties Publications,1997.
    p.410

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th November 2020 at 04:15.

Thanks

Thats what I get for typing with the three kids hollering at me.

I incorrectly typed 28 Feb above, so I edited the date to the correct one and removed the 'bail out' statement. It's obvious when I read it again, he slid down the wing. And it talks of the plane making a furrow etc.

I'd picked out R1269 earlier but with my mistake in dates I ignored it.

And had the Lancaster info from various websites.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com