Thread: DFM Citation for Sergeant Edward BROADBENT 1030317

Thanks

Default DFM Citation for Sergeant Edward BROADBENT 1030317

Could anyone provide me with a copy of the full citation for the immediate award of this pilot's DFM please? I understand it is included in AIR2/4967 which, unfortunately, hasn't been digitized so is unavailable for download. Cheers, Andrew

Thanks

Default Re: DFM Citation for Sergeant Edward BROADBENT 1030317

Andrew

From fold3.com:

BROADBENT, Edward. 1030317 Sergeant, No.57 Sqn. (Immediate)
    L.G. 25/5/1943. Sorties 5, Flying hours 25.20. Pilot. Air2/4967.
    Sergeant Broadbent was posted to No.57 Squadron on 12th March, 1943, from No.1654 Conversion Unit. On the night of 9th April 1943, Sergeant Broadbent was captain of a Lancaster aircraft detailed to attack the heavily defended city of Duisburg in the Ruhr. Sergeant Broadbent took off and attacked the target detailed but on the return journey, between the target and the Dutch coast, he was attacked by a German night fighter. Although Sergeant Broadbent took evasive action and the gunners opened fire on the enemy aircraft, the fighter pressed home his attack and seriously damaged the Lancaster aircraft. After the fighter's initial attack in which Sergeant Broadbent had sustained severe injuries to his hand and left shoulder, the fighter attacks were frustrated by skilful evasive action tactics by the captain. Although having lost a great deal of blood and suffering from shock, he continued to captain his crew calmly and flew the damaged aircraft back to base. Although the starboard and tail tyres were shot through and the hydraulic system damaged, Sergeant Broadbent skilfully landed his aircraft without further damage of hurt to his crew. I consider that Sergeant Broadbent not only showed skill and airmanship of the highest order, but cool courage and disregard of pain. I consider him well worthy of the immediate award of the Distinguished Flying Medal which I very strongly recommend.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Here is the identical citation but published in the Gazette.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../2321/data.pdf

Thanks

Thank you both for your useful responses. Your help is very much appreciated. Cheers, Andrew