Thread: Flights Within the Air Fighting Development Unit (AFDU)

Thanks

Default Flights Within the Air Fighting Development Unit (AFDU)

Hi All. I'm trying to understand the role and history of the British Aircraft Circus Flight, which was formed within the AFDU during November 1942 and subsequently became the Air Fighting Demonstration Squadron, still within the AFDU. Also of the detachments of Spitfires, made from the AFDU, to Bomber Command during the latter half of 1943.The obvious starting point would be the AFDU's ORB but, due to my vulnerability to Covid, I won't be able to visit the National Archives at Kew for a while - even when they reopen. Furthermore, I didn't see anything about the Flight, the Squadron, or the detachments, when I last had a look at the AFDU's ORB - although I was rather short of time. As always, I'd appreciate any help and/or advice that the knowledgeable folk on here might be able to offer. Cheers, Andrew

Thanks

Default Re: Flights Within the Air Fighting Development Unit (AFDU)

Hi Andrew, I don't know the details for the AFDU structure I'm afraid. I I've seen AFDU Trial reports for the Manchester, Halifax and Lancaster. I can't find a solid reference, but September 1943 might tie in with Bomber command trials of camera gunsights for fighter affiliation. Later, there would also be trials for gyroscopic gunsights and for AGLS. AFDU may well have been involved with these.

Richard

Thanks

Default Re: Flights Within the Air Fighting Development Unit (AFDU)

Hi Richard and thanks for that, it certainly makes sense. I think it might also tie in with the development of the famous 'corkscrew' manoeuvre but, again, don't have any firm references to confirm this.... Cheers, Andrew