Thread: RAF Lysander squadrons flew mission withs in support of the British Army

Thanks

Default RAF Lysander squadrons flew mission withs in support of the British Army

Helo ,

Can someone help me with with he number of the Lysander squadrion who flew missions in support of the British Army in the early days of WWII.

Regards

Alain12

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Lysander squadrons flew mission withs in support of the British Army

Hello Alain,

I had a quick look in Fledgling Eagles for squadrons in support of the British Expeditionary Force. Initially there were 4 and 13 Squadrons in 50 (Army Co-operation) Wing plus 2 and 26 Squadrons in 51 (Army Co-operation) Wing. 16 Squadron was added in the end of April 1940.

Regards
    Peter

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Lysander squadrons flew mission withs in support of the British Army

No.613 Squadron also flew in support of the other Lysander Squadrons in France, ferrying over replacement aircraft, urgent spares, etc. Then they conducted sorties in support of the British Army garrison at Calais using both their Hectors and Lysanders on dive bombing and supply dropping operations in late May 1940.

Regards,
    Colin Ford
    Canberra
    Australia

No.268 Squadron Royal Air Force 1940-1946
    Historian.

Thanks

Many years ago I knew an air gunner on 26 Sqn. I forget his ground trade but he flew part time as an AC and had the old brass bullet badge along with his medal group. He told me the story of when he was shot down by a Heinkel 111 near (I think) Louvain shortly after the German offensive began, I think it may have been 14th May. The plane managed to make a rough landing but caught fire and he had to help the injured pilot out.

He later re-mustered as an air gunner and did five ops on Whitleys with 51 Sqn before being taking off ops for medical reasons and being discharged. His name was Jim Brown, I'd be interested if anyone has any details of his shooting down as unfortunately his memory at the time wasn't too good.

Regards

Greg

Thanks

Hello,

Peter Cornwell, in his "The Battle of France - Then and Now, records:

BRITISH AIR FORCES IN FRANCE .
    26 Squadron, Dieppe.
    Tuesday, May 14 (1940).

Lysander II L4777 - Shot down at Arras during reconnaissance sortie 6.25 p.m. Pilot Officer Walker wounded in hand. LAC Brown unhurt.

See:
    The Battle of France - Then and Now.
    Cornwell,Peter D.
    Old Harlow:Battle of Britain International.2007.
    p.267

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 17th November 2020 at 05:27.

Thanks

Hello ,

Thank you all for the help

Alain12