Thread: RAF Met stuff

Thanks

Default RAF Met stuff

I'm trying to be certain of dates when snow was on the ground in Lincolnshire in Dec44/Jan45, please can anybody suggest any Met records. cheers PeteS

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Met stuff

Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada

Thanks

Pete.

Mike's link will take you to the Daily Weather Report (DWR), an official publication which gives 6-hourly observations for about 70 met observing stations covering the UK and Ireland. The data include a 'State of ground' at 0600 and 1800 GMT i.e. wet, dry, frozen etc, but unfortunately it includes only one airfield in Lincolnshire - Cranwell.

This is the only online source of data. Otherwise the data you seek would only be available in the Daily Register for a specific airfield, for which a visit to the Met Office archives is required. At the moment a visit is not possible, nor does the Met Office archives have the staff to search for the information in even normal times.

I have the DWR's for the two months and might be able to make an assessment for a limited number of dates.

Brian

Thanks

Pete,

If I remember correctly the Summary of Events in some squadron ORBs routinely include a brief weather summary, which might make reference to lying snow affecting operations in exceptional circumstances.

Brian

Thanks

Very many thanks Gents !