Thread: J F Daly DFC DFM 37 Sqn & 627 Sqn

Thanks

Default J F Daly DFC DFM 37 Sqn & 627 Sqn

I was wondering if anybody had any more information on John Francis Daly who was
    awarded the DFC and DFM. I have various notes from the LG as follows:

DFM - LG 7/4/42
    P/O - LG 8/12/42
    F/O - 21/5/43
    F/Lt - 27/10/44
    DFC - 13/04/45

He had the number 758074 and the 133537 after he was commissioned. From the entries
    from the LG I know he was with 37 Squadron when he was awarded the DFM and then
    with 627 Squadron when he was awarded the DFC, but I have nothing else.

I am pretty sure he was a bomb aimer, and think he may have been the Bombing Leader at
    627 Squadron.

Any information would be great especially as to why he was awarded the DFC and DFM.

Johnnie

Thanks

Johnnie,

Distinguished Flying Medal Register - Ian Tavender (recommendations for awards)

DALY John Francis 758074 Sgt 37 Sqn

LG 7/4/42 Air Observer AIR2/4782

This NCO has completed 36 operations, 33 sorties with 37 Sqn and these include raids on objectives in Holland, Germany, Tripolitania, Syria, Cryrenaica, Greece and the Dodecanese. Sgt DALY skill as a Navigator and Bomb Aimer is of a high order and has gained him the complete confidence of the other members of his crew. He has on several occasions contributed largely to the safe return of his aircraft in bad weather conditions. The courage and devotion to duty which Sgt Daly has always shown set a fine example to the squadron.

22 February 1942

I also see in the book 'At First Sight' Account of 627 Squadron - Alan B WEBB
    mentions :-
    Joining squadron 2-2-44 F/O J.F DALY DFM Navigator from 1655 Mosquito Training Unit MTU
    Other details include an operations sheet which shows by 2-6-1944 he has completed 65 and a third operations ! of which during this his second tour he has so far completed 17 and a third operations !
    + 31-12-1944 Attacked Gestapo HW Oslo !
    DZ530-N F/O Fletcher F/O Daly

Certainly gets around !

Mark

Thanks

Hello,
    I have been to several 627 Squadron reunion, and I believe to remember to have met him .
    Go to the 627 Sq web site, they could help you.
    Alain

Thanks

Default Daly DFC

DALY, John Francis, F/L, DFM (133537, RAFVR*) - No.627 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 13 April 1945. Born 1918 in Hackney. Educaed St.Ignatius College, Tottenham. Enlisted August 1939; awarded DFM in 1942; commissioned October 1943. Citation in Air Ministry Bulletin 18301.

"Since the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal in 1942, Flight Lieutenant Daly has continued to operate with outstanding success. In June 1944, while engaged on attacking Flying Bomb sites, fierce and accurate anti-aircraft fire was encountered. He continued with his allotted task calm and unperturbed. He has taken a responsible part in highly successful attacks against the most strongly defended targets in Germany, and against enemy transport systems both before and after D Day. He has now completed his second tour of operations, continually displaying courage and devotion to duty of the highest order."

Thanks

According to the citation for the award of his DFM, this man was originally an Air Observer (Navigator and Bomb Aimer), and chances are that he would have hung on to his "Flying O" badge (modesty prevents me from using the "real" slang name for this badge) and he probably still treasures it. In the RAF you were only permitted to wear ONE flying badge, regardless of how many you had qualified for, and the "Flying O" had a glamour all of its own during WW2.
    David D

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I have been in touch with the association as I would love to
    find out more about him, or try and get in contact with people who might have known
    him.

I have also been in touch with the HMSO association as he seems to have worked for
    them both before and after the war, ending up in quite a high position.

I have also been on the 627 Squadron web site and very interested in one photo as I
    wonder if it might show Daly. On the photo section:
    http://www.627squadron.co.uk/album.html

the 32nd photo in the list titled:

VE-Day

If you can identify anyone in the photograph please let me know

Picture 16

Shows a man with the O brevet, along with the DFC and DFM ribbon. As far as I
    was aware, you could wear the ribbon as soon as the award had been granted,
    and I assume if it had been granted by April, he could have worn the ribbon on/after
    VE Day.

I know it's a long shot, but I can't imagine there being very many Navigators with
    the Squadron wearing the O brevet and having the DFC and DFM.

Any suggestions?

Johnnie

Thanks

Have just looked at the photo again, and think it might be another man as I have
    just noticed he has as tape badge over the top of his arm like the New Zealand type.

Johnnie

Thanks

Hello,

if anyone wants information in John Frances Daly (known as Jack a lot of the time) please contact me. Sadly John died some time ago but I am his daughter in law and Grace his widow lives with me. We still have a lot of Johns RAF memorabilia including all the flight records etc. Grace very much enjoys talking of the times and would live to hear from anyone interested.

Thanks

Hi Sally,

Many thanks for you post and for the message. I've replied to your message and look forward to talking to you.

Johnnie

Thanks

Hello Sally I was delighted to see your post as I've wanted to know more about John Daly's illustrious RAF service for many years now, and could find little on line. I'd very much appreciate it if you could get in touch. Thanks Tim