Thread: Sunderland P9622 accident 29.10.40 201 Sqn. 3 crew names needed

Thanks

Default Sunderland P9622 accident 29.10.40 201 Sqn. 3 crew names needed

Hi All,

There are 3 of the crew on this aircraft who survived the accident near Latheron, Scotland but I haven`t been able to trace further details
    on them because I couldn`t find their Christian names or service numbers.

Not being able to access any casualty files I wonder if anyone can help.

The 3 men, all believed to be RAF are:

Sgt Ault.
    Sgt C. Anderson.
    Cpl J.R. Wells. (Mechanic)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Dave.

Thanks

Default Re: Sunderland P9622 accident 29.10.40 201 Sqn. 3 crew names needed

For the record AIR81/4024
    Sergeant J L Carson, Sergeant R W J Phelps, Sergeant R Lauder, Aircraftman G Nangle: killed;
    Flying Officer H J Field, Pilot Officer M C Raban, Pilot Officer P G Cooper, Sergeant Ault, Sergeant C Anderson, Sergeant L G Corbin, Corporal J R Wells: injured; aircraft accident, Sunderland 9622, 201 Squadron, 29 October 1940.

Didnt come up in the search due to the missing P in P9622

Thanks

The full crew as I have it was:-
    P/O Harold James FIELD 41163 RAF
    P/O Maurice Cuthbert RABAN AFC 33493 RAF
    P/O Patrick George COOPER 42803 RAF
    Sgt Robert LAUDER 507615 RAF †
    Sgt Leonard George CORBIN 551019 RAF
    Sgt John Leadbetter CARSON 543418 RAF †
    Sgt Ronald Wilkie John PHELPS 644168 RAF †
    Sgt Charles Allen ANDERSON 581310 RAF
    Sgt Reginald William AULT 935055 RAF(VR)
    Cpl John Ronald WELLS DFM 517494 RAF
    AC1 George Allan NANGLE 973249 RAF(VR) †
    Three of this crew were destined to not survive the war.
    Sgt Anderson was later promoted and posted to 271 Squadron based at RAF Odiham, Surrey, England. On 21st September 1944 he was the navigator aboard Douglas Dakota KG340 engaged on a re-supply drop to troops in Arnhem. The aircraft was shot down by enemy fighters. Warrant Officer Anderson was killed along with four other crewmen. He was buried at the Heteren General Cemetery, Gelderland, Netherlands.
    Sgt Ault was later promoted and posted to 1680 (Transport) Flight. On 3rd July 1943 he was part of the crew of Fokker F.XXII HM159 on a transport flight from Tiree to Stornoway via Abbotsinch. On the return leg an engine fire caused the aircraft to crash near to the Mull of Kintyre. 20 crew and passengers including F/Sgt Ault perished. He is buried at the Kilkerran Cemetery, Campbeltown, Argyllshire, Scotland.
    P/O Cooper was also later promoted to Squadron Leader and posted to 131 OTU at RAF Killadeas, Co Fermanagh. On 16th October 1943 he was teaching a crew spin recovery techniques in Catalina AH551. The aircraft crashed near Whitehill. S/Ldr Cooper was killed along with six other men. There were two survivors. He was buried at Morden Cemetery, Surrey.
    Cpl Wells was later promoted and in the London Gazette of 26th August 1941 was awarded the DFM. His recommendation read, “Since the outbreak of war this NCO has shown conspicuous devotion to duty as aircrew on London and Sunderland flying boats and has set an example of the highest order to his fellow airman. He has carried out 1145 hours operational flying. On 29th October 1940 he was a member of the crew of a Sunderland which crashed at night in North Scotland. Although badly shaken, he undoubtedly showed great presence of mind in assisting the less fortunate of his fellow members and was probably indirectly responsible for saving lives”.

Hope this helps
    Chris
    Last edited by cozzy711; 19th November 2020 at 05:18.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cozzy711 For This Useful Post:

Jagan (18th November 2020)

Thanks

Excellent Chris,

Just what I needed and thanks for the added information which is a great help.

I had a feeling that Ault might have been the one on the Fokker 22 but with no service number or full name from the casualty card list I couldn`t
    be sure. I knew about the accident with cooper but didn`t of course know about Anderson in the Dakota, so sad.

Regards
    Dave.