Thread: Progress With CC Losses Volume 2 & 3

Thanks

Default Progress With CC Losses Volume 2 & 3

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Progress with getting a second volume of Coastal Command losses in print is going well and 1942 records and a couple of months of 1943 have been translated into ‘book’ format. Air Britain has confirmed that they will take the book (there are probably two volumes). I have proposed a couple of minor changes and I am adding some info and comment where I think it will be useful. The project, however, remains very much the work of Ross and it will be his name on the BY line.

I have some information regarding the contribution by the USAAF and later the USN and that is being added, as is some CC aircraft working (as they now say in the forces) ‘out of area’.

I am anxious to borrow a copy of the book “8th and 9th Air Force Losses Vol 1”. The only copy I can find is for sale at £180.00!!! Alternatively, if somebody would like to trawl their copy for the US aircraft losses, that would be equally helpful – not to mention the free copy of CC Vol 2 in due course!

Colin Cummings

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldduffer For This Useful Post:

Andrew Arthy (8th December 2020),Jagan (2nd December 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Progress With CC Losses Volume 2 & 3

Hello Colin

I have a copy of the '8th and 9th Air Force Losses Vol. 1' and would be happy to do some look ups for you.

I'm delighted this continued series will get to see the light of day so any little I (and no doubt others) can do to help, will be happy to pitch in.

Kind regards
    Pierre

Thanks

Colin

"I have some information regarding the contribution by the USAAF and later the USN and that is being added, as is some CC aircraft working (as they now say in the forces) ‘out of area’.
    "

Can you clarity this with an example please of what you mean as I am a bit confused

Thanks
    Paul

Thanks

Coastal Command unlike Bomber and Fighter Command exercised operational control over some American units both in the UK and at points on the Atlantic supply routes.

In the late 1942 UK examples of detached 8th USAAF units at St Eval operating under Coastal Command control were 1st and 2nd Antisubmarine Squadrons and in Iceland USN VP-84.

Moving towards 1943/44 USN VPB 103/105/110/115 were operating from Dunkeswell.

I had started to include these losses and others with the intent to expand to FAA units under similar Coastal Command control but this part remains to be fully detailed in the manuscripts passed to Colin.

Other losses included were those from No.61 Sqn Bomber Command when it was loaned to Coastal Command and the odd aircraft on Coastal Command strength but operating on detachment out of area eg Med as well as full Squadron detachments such as No.53 Squadron but there remain isolated cases needing revisits.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2021 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross

Thanks for explanation

Colin - Please check your nimbuspublishing email account

If you have another email -please PM me

Paul

Thanks

Pierre and others, thank you for your interest and offers of help and my apologies for not acknowledging the offers sooner. No excuses for my bad manners - my mother would have smacked the backs of my legs and sent me to bed with no Tea!!!!!!!!

Things continue to go well and I'll keep people updated in due course.

Colin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldduffer For This Useful Post:

wwrsimon (6th January 2021)