Thread: Abbreviation interpretation from ORB

Thanks

Default Abbreviation interpretation from ORB

Good afternoon all,

I've been spending a lot of time reviewing ORBs recently and have come across some terminology including some abbreviations I haven't come across before and would be grateful for any suggestions. The first is:

"Target identified by XT". What is XT?

The second is:

"Target identified by R.P. flares" What does RP refer to?

Final one for now:

"special equipment : A.P.I." This is often in combination with Monica III, I'm familiar with Monica but not A.P.I.

Thanks

Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 11th June 2021 at 13:10. Reason: Additional question

Thanks

Default Re: Abbreviation interpretation from ORB

A.P.I. is Air Position Indicator. It is located at the Navigator’s station.

R.P. Red position flares? That's a guess. EDITED CORRECTION: “Release Point Flares”

Not sure what X.T. Means. That’s a new one for me. Could you please provide the year, and type of squadron (i.e. main force or pathfinders, Group).

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 11th June 2021 at 17:54.

Thanks

Default Re: Abbreviation interpretation from ORB

From Peter Hoare's paper, 2007. "Navigating Lancasters in WWII, Journal of Navigation"

2.7. Air Position Indicator (API). The API was a mechanical aid fed with inputs
    from the Air Mileage Unit (AMU) and DRC. It gave air position in latitude and
    longitude, read from veeder counters and was an invaluable device that avoided the
    inaccuracies and time consumption of a manual air plot. Deviations from planned
    speeds, heights and courses such as banking searches and corkscrews, that were
    virtually immeasurable when using a manual air plot presented no difficulty to the
    API. The aircraft’s true course was indicated on the API, the DRC magnetic course
    output being corrected by the VSC installed in the navigator’s compartment.

Jim