Thread: Researching an RCAF member at Aden during WW2

Thanks

Default Researching an RCAF member at Aden during WW2

As with some of you, I'm doing Genealogy for the first time to pass the solitude. A relative of my wife, and my high-school vice-principal in New Westminster BC, has emerged as somewhat of an enigma. I have seen a picture of him in an officer's
    cap. His daughter (my sister-in-law) says that he was RCAF (substantiated by the symbol on his gravestone) but seconded to the RAF, in the communications area. He apparently served in Aden (Khormakser?) in the early 40's, going on to serve later in the "western desert". I can find nothing on either the RAF or RCAF sites, and I don't have his service (squadron?) number. The meager details I have are:
    James William Morrow, born 1911 and died 1999, both in British Columbia Canada. I would appreciate if anyone who knew him could let me know any details. If there is anyone who has done similar research could advise me of any further avenues to pursue. Thanks

Thanks

Default Re: Researching an RCAF member at Aden during WW2

Hello,

His obituary has him as "a Squadron Leader in the Middle East in WWII"

You can use his obituary, which I can send you if your email is on your profile here, to obtain his service file from Ottawa. He has been deceased the required 20 years. https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/transp...iles.aspx#tab2

His DOB was 7 May, 1911 New Westminster, BC and deceased White Rock, BC 23 August 1999. He married Noel Gertrude Oxenbury at New Westminster 19 July 1941. His trade shows then as "Pilot Officer, RCAF"

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

This seems to fit. Morrow.JW C-6480 Flying Control Operations.

Thanks

I've got the obit, and have sent it to Ottawa. Been informed that they are about 4 months behind in their searches. Everybody's doing genealogy!

Thanks

Dismayed by the tenor of the post since deleted, I visited the Library and Archives Canada site to find this
    https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/servic...reopening.aspx
    which, like other front rank collections and archives, shows the effect of the pandemic on services.

Library and Archives Canada had also endured a sustained period of heavy budget and staff cuts from 2010 onwards.
    A familiar story easily found on the public record.

I also see that like other national collections, users are free to support Library and Archives Canada either by direct donation
    https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/about-...s/default.aspx
    or by joining Friends of Library and Archives Canada
    http://friendsoflibraryandarchivescanada.ca/en/home.php

Either would be better than the carping of the deleted post, with its unsubtle bad language: hardly in keeping with the times, the Season or the custom of the board.
    I'd like to thank whoever deleted that post and have polished up this reply a little to reflect that.

Having made use of the free service for Service Records of deceased personnel, I'd like to thank Library and Archives Canada for their collection and continuing service in hard times and wish their staff a safe Happy Christmas and New Year.

And finally, as the deleted post was nothing to do with him nor helpful to his task, to also wish new member Schroedinger all the best with his family project...welcome and good luck.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 23rd December 2020 at 04:07. Reason: amended to reflect a post deletion
    Toujours propos