Thread: GARRIE, T. A. ‘Tommy’

Thanks

Default GARRIE, T. A. ‘Tommy’

I have a pilot with 41 Squadron that I am seeking further help/information on. He is 1348819, Flt. Sgt. GARRIE, T. A. ‘Tommy’, RAFVR. I know he was born in Edinburgh on 10 Sep. 1921, so does anyone out there have access to the BDM records who could confirm his two forenames, please?

Additionally, I know he was educated at Bellevue International School in Edinburgh, joined the RAFVR at ACRS, London, 18 Aug. 1941, attended 2 BFTS, Polaris Flight Academy, War Eagle Field, Lancaster, CA, USA, in 1942 (exact date unknown), and joined 41 Squadron as a Flt. Sgt. on 18 Sep. 1943. Unfortunately, I have no idea when he was posted away or where he otherwise served, but I do know he survived the war and was last seen working in the main Post Office in Edinburgh soon after the end of the War.

Can anyone add anything to this please, particularly on his forenames and other wartime service?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve,

Not an answer to your query, but noted in the Oct 46 AFL that there is but one man there of this surname - 125772 Garrie, J G D ('released').

Possibly related?

Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol

Due to being off the air for a month, I'm only now able to reply to your post and thank you for sharing this.

Regards
    Steve

Thanks

Default Re: GARRIE, T. A. ‘Tommy’

Hi Steve , I know it`s only 12 years since you posted looking for info , but I have only recently thought to do a search on my late beloved uncle "Tommy" I can confirm Tommy was born Thomas Adamson Garrie. He was an inspirational character telling me about his learning to fly in the states on boeing Stearmans and how he went on to be a ferry Pilot taking spits from factory to squadrons, apparently he had bad eye sight for combat purposes and they let him do ferrying work.
    I myself went on to join the R.A.F. not once but twice.
    It is mentioned in his log book about 41 sqn but the logbook is in Edinburgh with my mother and I am in Cheltenham unable to get to Edinburgh currently, Before he passe away Uncle Tommy gave me his Raf irvin flying jacket he wore throughout the war it is one of my most treasured possesions, although I didnt get to see his log book until after his passing, he always told me he pranged one spit because he forgot about the retractable undercart, but when I got to read the logbook blow me he had done it twice !!! anyway hope this helps, I dont have much more to offer but if you require further info please do not hesitate to contact me Martblack@live.co.uk

Thanks

Was he with 610 Squadron for a short while before 41 Squadron?

John Engelsted

Thanks

Sorry John dont know at moment, will let you know when I Get my hands on Logbook , whenever Boris lets me. Signed Really cheesed off in Cheltenham
    P.S. I actually want to see my mum as well as logbook. Martin
    Last edited by Dakota4624; 24th December 2020 at 11:05. Reason: Mis spell

Thanks

Hi Martin

Sorry about the radio silence.

I was seeking information about your uncle for inclusion in my history of 41 Sqn, specifically my volume covering August 1942 to May 1945, which was published in 2012 under the title, "Blood, Sweat and Valour" (Fonthill).

The detail I had on Tommy Garrie was, unfortunately, quite scant and only comprises the following:

GARRIE, THOMAS ADAMSON ‘Tommy’, 1348819, RAFVR; born Edinburgh, Scot, 10 Sep 21; ed Bellevue Intermediate School, Edin; joined RAFVR, ACRS, London, 18 Aug 41; 2 BFTS, Polaris Flt Academy, War Eagle Fld, Lancaster, CA, USA, 1942; Sgt Plt, 1942; Flt Sgt, 1943; 41 Sqn, Tangmere, 18 Sep 43-ca 18 Mar 44; occ post war, Post Office, Edin

He is mentioned elsewhere in the book on his arrival in September 1943, and in a Nominal Roll at Tangmere in March 1944, but appears to have only been on the Sqn for about six months.

-----

John - to your question - no, 41 Sqn was Garrie's first operational unit after flying training. He may have been on 610 after 41 (I don't know and haven't checked) but he was not on 610 before 41.

Regards
    Steve