Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map - sheet 7 germany

Thanks

Default Map - sheet 7 germany

Hi

Whilst looking at correspondence from June 1949 from the RAF Liaison Officer with the American Graves Registration Commission to Air Ministry Casualty Section I came upon a map reference A. 149 228 on Sheet 7 Germany. The location is around Ludwigslust some 100 miles northwest ish of Berlin.

Looking at the map series I am aware of GSGS 4346 (1:250,000) the map covering this area is M54 (Schwerin).

The GSGS 4416 (AMS M641) (1:100,000) the map covering this area is L6 (Schwerin).

The other map I am aware of is the GSGS 4414 (1:25,000) maps 2634 and 2635 (Ludwigslust and Neustad) which hardly seem to fit the bill.

None of these have the matching reference nor, as far as I can see, anywhere like the the map reference.

The nomenclature of 'Sheet 7' seems to imply that it was a common go to reference, perhaps compiled from a series of some of the other map series.

Any clues to Sheet 7 would be gratefully received

Regards

Mike Mcleod

Thanks

Default Re: Map - sheet 7 germany

Hello Mike

The only Sheet 7 that I can locate so far is from GSGS 4081 but based on your description appears to far NW of Berlin to be your candidate,however in case here's a link to the map sheet http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/is.../macrepo:26722

Kind regards
    Pierre

Thanks

Mike

Have you tried the Echodelta site? https://echodelta.net/mbs/eng-translation.php. Go to the Nord du Guerre Zone and use the coordinate RU149228 which leads to the area you are looking for. The RU prefix is the placer for a 100km square, your 'A' prefix probably refers to a subsection of it.

HTH

DaveW
    Last edited by davew; 28th December 2020 at 11:50. Reason: minor change to punctuation

Thanks

Thank you Pierre and Dave

Pierre - yes, I gad looked at the GSGS 4081 but it does not quite tie in.

Dave, actually RT 149228 gets closer, about 40km west of Ludwigslust. I have another reference from another correspondence which is M54 / T5233 which relates to RT 5233 on the GSGS 4346 series which is bang on Ludwigslust.

I am puzzled as to where the map Sheet 7 Germany A. 149228 which should equate to the above location can be found.

Thanks again

Mike

Thanks

"A. 149228" should be an easily-identifiable location, IF the 'A' prefix is correct and not a clerical error.

In looking at the Nord de Guerre Zone map system in use, the only grid squares WITHIN Germany using an A prefix were:

rA (roughly the Ruhr area)
    sA (area roughly north-east of Dresden and south of Eisenhüttenstadt)

Thus, "A. 149228" would be either:

rA.149228 = 51.49771 ° N, 06.51146 ° E

or

sA.149228 = 51.35624 ° N, 13.70129 ° E

I have never seen sub-prefixes used in these military map coordinates, so I think the suggestion A is a subsection within grid square rU is invalid. A six-figure map reference within a defined grid square is accurate (from memory) to 100 square metres, while a four-figure map reference is accurate to 1,000 square metres. I mention this accuracy to illustrate that no sub-prefixes/subsections were necessary with this map system.

I am thinking, however, that the A prefix is a clerical error.

"Sheet 7" presumably refers to a sheet within the GSGS 4416 series. Unfortunately, the '7' by itself is not accurate enough. '7' covered a strip of sheets running north to south from Zingst (sheet J.7) in the north to Kitzbuhel in Austria (sheet Z.7).

Ludwigslust itself is within sheet L.6.

Here is a PDF scan of the index to GSGS 4416:

https://mil.library.ucsb.edu/mapinde...0_u5_index.pdf

Going back to your map grid reference, if it was actually:

rT.149228 = 53.25906 ° N, 10.95392 ° E. This is near Stapel, 36 kilometres WSW of Ludwigslust and is sheet L.5 or L.6 and not 7.

rU.149228 = 53.21188 ° N, 12.44748 ° E. This is 6 kilometres NNW of Wittstock (and 65 kilometres ESE of Ludwigslust) and is within Sheet L.7.

Cheers

Rod
    Last edited by RodM; 28th December 2020 at 16:12.

Thanks

Mike

Try this site, you are more familiar with what is actually required than I and better equipped to search. The maps are free access. https://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/i...acrepo%3A85282

DaveW

Edit

I see Rod has explained much better than I did, and I would accept his proposition that square RT could be correct.
    Last edited by davew; 28th December 2020 at 16:12.

Thanks

Thank you both for your assistance.

I am inclined to go along with Rod's suggestion that there is a clerical error as the location specified is in the proximity of Ludwigslust and none of the potential locations are close.

Thanks again to all

Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lancasterlm342 View Post
    Thank you both for your assistance.

I am inclined to go along with Rod's suggestion that there is a clerical error as the location specified is in the proximity of Ludwigslust and none of the potential locations are close.

Thanks again to all

Mike
    Mike, have sent you PM re this. All very intriguing, and while I would have thought a clerical error was unlikely I'm finding it hard to come up with anything as good or better than Rod's theory.

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcwayland; 5th January 2021 at 17:57. Reason: grammar

Thanks

Malcolm

Thanks for the message. I agree that there could be a set of 'quick reference' maps.

On a graves concentration report, albeit in The Netherlands, a similar format is used viz. 'Sheet 2A/3A E.773271'.

I shall keep looking just in case

Mike

Thanks

Hi

I have this British reference to a reburial in Denmark.

Map. Ref. 1/100,000. Sheet 4
    (German Series)

Anybody who can convert? I am aware about the position of both burials.

Regards

Finn Buch