Thread: "P.O. Hooper,RAF/VR buried Kidlington"

moth82 Guest

Default "P.O. Hooper,RAF/VR buried Kidlington"

Hello,
    Any body know any details concerning how "P.O. Raymond Hooper" came to buried at kidlington oxfordshire?

Thanks
    Andrew.

Thanks

Hi Andrew
    The death of Hooper,20, was on 18/02/43, and is registered at Abingdon, which means he died somewhere in the vicinity within the area covered by the Abingdon office at the time. His parent's were from Merthyr Tydfil and clearly did not exercise their right to have his remains taken home.Burial at Kidlington might have been because he was based there at the Flying Training Unit. He was a fully qualified pilot at the time he died, hence the rank recorded on CWGC of Sgt. where the date of death and parental names also can be found.
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2421542
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Can suggest Audax K8321 of 7 GTS which crashed at Kingston Bagpuize which is in the Abingdon registration area.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Dave has suggested a GTS a/c. GTS =Glider Training School and there were examples at Kidlington and Weston-on-the Green. Flying Training and Support Units since 1912- Ray Sturtivant and John Hamlin doesn't have GTS Nos higher than 5.In Feb 1943 Hooper could have been undergoing training for Glider ops prior to the landings in Sicily which I think came in July '43, it would almost certainly have involved flying powered a/c part of the time.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Dick

a slip of my thumb, The K File records the unit as 4 GTS. Further info is thatv a wing collapsed on approach, dig, pilot killed.

regards

DavwW

moth82 Guest

Thank you all for your information,
    The Hawker Audax seems a likely candidate with the dates.

The enquiry came about by pure chance.
    I flew in to Oxford a while back, and just happened to mention it to my father.
    He said his uncle was burried there who was killed in the war, but he knew no details.

Any more details would be most welcome.

Kind regards to you all

Andrew.