Thread: 420729 - Unaccounted airmen - 29-7-1942

Thanks

Default 420729 - Unaccounted airmen - 29-7-1942

What were the places of death registration for:

A - Killed on active service:
    P/O (Obs) Cyril W. EAMES - 108243 - 57 Sqn (Methwold, Norfolk);
    LAC (pilot u/t) Leonard G. CARTMELL - 1453760 (see note);
    LAC (Pilot u/t) Thomas E. GARBUTT - 1321094 (see note), and
    LAC (Pilot u/t) Arthur GLOSSOP - 1538884 (see note).
    Note: Cartmell and Glossop were on Anson AX143 of 1 (O)AFU, crashed in Solway Firth, Orrland Bay; Garbutt may have been on same aircraft.

B - Not found in Flight archives:
    Cadet Geoffrey HUGHES - age 16 - 408 ATC Sqn, buried Whittington (St.Bartholomew) Churchyard, Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

C - Proposed aircraft losses:
    Magister I - V1022 - 2 FIS - flew into ground Kilnhill Farm, Laurencekirk, Kincardineshire.
    Hotspur II Glider - BT852 - 296 Sqn - undershot landing at night Shrewton.
    Oxford I - AT671 - 11 (P)AFU - crashed in forced landing Town Lane Farm, Denton, Lancashire.

Regards and thanks for your help.
    Henk.

Thanks

Here is the ORB entry for AX143, I don't quite get why the serial in the record book was one for a Lysander.

July 29th 1942, “Anson aircraft No.P9112 crashed into the sea 12 miles East of Kirkcudbright at approximately 14.00 hours. Four persons were killed and the pilot was injured, particulars being, 1453760 LAC Cartmell L.G., ACH/U/T/Air Bomber, killed; 1321094 LAC Garbutt T.E.U. ACH/U/T/Air Bomber, killed; 1538884 LAC Glossop A. ACH/UT/Air Bomber, killed. ATC Neil McAllister of Dumfries, killed. NZ413389 Sgt Dodman K.G. Pilot, injured, being rescued from the sea.

Here's the entry for V1022, there was a fatality but he died the following day.

July 29th 1942, “1146795 Sgt Southern, R.S. and P/O W.H. Airlie involved in flying accident to Magister V1022 Sgt Southern died from injuries on 30th July. Accident being investigated by W/Cdr Simpson.”

AT671 was being flowned by Sgt H.S. Coombes, 1084499, and Sgt R.M. Rippington, 138427, both were treated in the RAF hospital at Wilmslow for their injuries.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi Henk
    Eames,22,registered at Downham, Norfolk
    Hughes,16, registered at Grantham and W Kesteven, Lincolnshire
    From Al's post it seems the other 3 were registered in Scotland
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Henk

Cadet Hughes was aboard Hampden I, AT113 EQ-A of 408 Sqn together with Cadet K R Couzin-Wood. (Chorley Vol 3)

Malcolm

Thanks

While looking up losses for the 10th August I found another entry relating to LAC Glossop in the Dumfries ORB.

August 10th 1942, SSQ, “LAC Arthur Glossop’s body was brought in from Auchencairn. He had been drowned a week previous as result of an air crash, belonging to RAF Station Wigtown.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Henk

To add to Al Clark's reply, I found the following from the Scottish Records : -

LAC Leonard Grizzella Cartmell 1453760 : Found on 11 August 1942 at Rascarrel Farm. Registered at Rerrick, County of Kirkcudbright, Scotland. The CWGC records his middle name as Grizzelle.

LAC Arthur Glossop 1538884 : Found on 9 August 1942 at Airds of Bulcary. Registered at Rerrick, County of Kirkcudbright, Scotland.

LAC Thomas Ernest Uriah Garbutt 1321094 : Found on 13 August 1942. Found on Solway shore (West Barcloy). Registered at Colvend, County of Kirkcudbright, Scotland. The Scottish Records record him as RAF trainee so I assume the word "pilot" was missed.

I have had had a look at a map of Kirkcudbright and the villages of Auchencairn and Rascarrel are only 3 or 4 miles apart.

As you are probably aware, I have been working my way back through your threads over the past week or so. It is only when looking at the names you have indicated in the threads that it brings us an idea of the magnitude of the losses. We must always respect and never forget them.

Douglas

Thanks

Douglas,
    Your help on death registrations in Scotland is very much appreciated. Indeed Dennis did quite a lot of research in the past for this part of the U.K., but I know that he is very busy, although his responses still appear on the forum on a regular basis. I express you, Dennis, and many other faithful visitors of the RAF Commands Forum, my heartfelt thanks.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

I'm not gone away you know!

haha

I'm doing a course at present and the little lady keeps finding things for me to do, go to cinema, go drinking, go on holiday etc etc, plus I'm starting a new job in May which may simply remove evenings from being part of my life! I do have a few days off in May which I might be able to use as a blitz period.

Only reason I got all that done last year was.... I was single.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Re: The Unaccounted Project - Final Stretch Updates by Jon Heyworth

George Arthur Broughton, 1428132, a MT driver attached to Number 58 RSU, died of dystentry
    Last edited by Jagan; 19th September 2021 at 16:38. Reason: Added Service Number

Thanks

Default Re: The Unaccounted Project - Final Stretch Updates by Jon Heyworth

Quote Originally Posted by jonheyworth View Post
    George Arthur Broughton, a MT driver attached to Number 58 RSU, died of dystentry
    Jon

Can I just add his Service Number, which is 1428132 as I thought that this might help with any future Google searches for him.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 19th September 2021 at 17:51. Reason: amended typo
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wwrsimon For This Useful Post:

Jagan (19th September 2021),jonheyworth (19th September 2021)