Thread: 451108 - Unaccounted Airwoman & Airmen - 08 - 11 - 1945

Thanks

Default 451108 - Unaccounted Airwoman & Airmen - 08 - 11 - 1945

Hello,

From Henk's List

WAAF
    UK
    Curtis, Elizabeth Audrey ( Toronto, Ontario,Canada ) - LACW - W/313196 - RCAF - Brookwood Military Cemetery,

Denmark
    McBrearty, Miles - LAC - 1674100 - RAFVR - Copenhagen ( Bispebjerg ) Cemetery, Denmark.

Germany
    Wilby, Geoffrey Clegg - F/O - 175132 - RAFVR - Hanover War Cemetery, Niedersachsen, Germany.
    Windle, Donald - F/O - 112273 - RAFVR - Celle War Cemetery, Niedersachsen, Germany.

New Zealand
    Hulme, Kenneth - LAC - NZ4310228 - RNZAF - Died of natural causes at Ashburton Public Hospital after being admitted to the Christchurch Public Hospital earlier. CWGC has his date of death as the 5th(See the entry on the 5th) , Henk has him listed for the 8th only ?

UK
    Marquis, William - F/O(Pilot) - 198171 - RAFVR - 102 Sqn - Hamsterley, (St. James ) Churchyard, Durham. [ Liberator VIII - KN742 ].
    Whaley, Reginald John - F/O - 161913 - RAFVR - Leeds (Lawnswood ) Crematorium, Yorkshire.

CWGC & Geoff's Sites

India
    Simpson, Derek Arnold - LAC - 932901 - RAFVR - Madras War Cemetery, Chennai, India.

UK
    Cotterill, George William - F/Lt(Pilot) - 84664 - RAFVR - DFC - Chester ( Blacon ) Cemetery, Cheshire. [ Mosquito PR 34 - 27 MU - RG269 ].

Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 11th September 2016 at 11:18.

Thanks

Curtis, Elizabeth Audrey

Died tuberculosis and peritonitis at No. 24 Canadian General Hospital.

Dave

Thanks

Hi

Denmark
    McBrearty, Miles - LAC - 409 RSU.

Germany
    Wilby, Geoffrey Clegg - F/O - 135 Wing.
    Windle, Donald - F/O - 412 MU.

UK
    Marquis, William - F/O(Pilot) - Liberator VIII - KN742 ].
    Whaley, Reginald John - F/O - not Eng/Wales?.
    Cotterill, George William - F/Lt(Pilot) - Mosquito PR 34 - 27 MU - RG269 ].

India
    Simpson, Derek Arnold - LAC - serving at Madras.

McGREGOR, WILLIAM DUNCAN Fg Off (173279) - 129 Sqn - any information?

Malcolm

Thanks

Alex

Germany
    Wilby, Geoffrey Clegg - F/O - 175132 - died in an accident at Fassberg

New Zealand
    Hulme, Kenneth - LAC - NZ4310228 - RNZAF - the Christchurch Press of November 6th 1945:
    ROLL OF HONOUR
    HULME - on November 5th 1945, at Ashburton, L.A.C. Kenneth Hulme (4310228, R.N.Z.A.F., Works Maintenance Unit, Delta) dearly beloved husband of Colleen Ellen Hulme, 151 Victoria Street, Ashburton, and loved daddy of Marcia and wee Colleen; in his 34th year. R.I.P. A patient sufferer at rest.

UK
    Whaley, Reginald John - F/O - 161913 - registered Leeds

Malcolm,

McGREGOR, WILLIAM DUNCAN Fg Off (173279) - 129 Sqn - the Staffordshire Advertiser of November 17th 1945 reports:
    FLYING OFFICER'S DEATH
    Major and Mrs, E. McGregor, 9, Northcote Place, Newcastle [Newcastle-under-Lyme presumably], have received information that their son, Flying Officer William Duncan McGregor, has been killed in a flying accident. Flying Offficer McGregor, who was 23 years of age, was an old boy of Newcastle High School, and joined the R.A.F. in 1941. He was trained in Canada and had taken part in many operational flights over Germany.

The National Probate Calendar has the following:
    MCGREGOR William Duncan of 55 Longfield Road, Harpfield, Stoke-upon-Trent died 8 November 1945 at Fuhlsbuttel, Hamburg, Germany.

J. J. Halley's Broken Wings has Spitfire LF.9 RK806 of 129 Sqn - ran into MK484 on landing, Fuhlsbuttel Airport, Hamburg on November 8th 1945 but no mention of casualties.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 11th September 2016 at 11:51. Reason: Added NPC details

Thanks

Hello,
    Malcolm,
    Thank you for the correction re Window, sometimes the word I type in changes to another and I do not notice it until after I send or like you bring it my attention.
    Thanks have now edited Window to Windle.
    Alex

Thanks

No problem Alex

Simon

Thanks for that, the accident appears in Colin Cumming's The Price of Peace but there are no casualties listed.

Malcolm

Thanks

Alex (et al),
    The problem, I suspect, is with the Word 'Auto-correct' function. It automatically assumes that it knows better than you - and that you have made a typo (or - as I say - QSD). The difficulty, as far as I can see, is that that there several versions of Auto-correct, in the various versions of Word - and not all are the same!!
    If you blunder your way into the 'admin' depths of Word you can change what the Auto-correct does automatically - or bin it altogether! But that is probably an art-form in itself. The best one I can remember (I think in Word in Windows XP) actually either underlined what it had changed and/or made some noise to indicate that what you had just typed was not what it was going to put on the page!
    "They" are only trying to be helpful, but just end up being 'trying'!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Re: The Unaccounted Project - Final Stretch Updates by Jon Heyworth

Derek Arnold Simpson 932901 , attached to Number 64 PTC, died in Number 1 British general hospital Avadi at 09:30 hours of poliomyelitis

Thanks

Default Re: The Unaccounted Project - Final Stretch Updates by Jon Heyworth

Geoffrey Clegg Wilby 175132 , attached to 135 Wing , was found dead in bed in his room from a gunshot wound from his revolver, believed to be self inflicted