Thread: Courses held at Engine Control Instructional Flight, Thorney Island, early 1945

Thanks

Default Courses held at Engine Control Instructional Flight, Thorney Island, early 1945

Hi all,
    I am interested what kind of courses was held at Engine Control Instructional Flight.

I have from Sturtivant: RAF Flying Training and Support Units, pg 108:

Formed 17.6.44 ex No. 1 (Coastal) Engine Control Demonstration Unit in No. 19 Group at Angle, .... 14. 1. 45 Thorney Island in No. 16 Group. ...
    Aircraft: Wellington
    Support aircraft: Proctor

So what kind of course would a Liberator FE passed there? Some theoretical or also practical one how to operate engines to reach the most economical flight?

I will be very thankful for any additional info out this units and its courses.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Default Re: Courses held at Engine Control Instructional Flight, Thorney Island, early 1945

Hi Pavel,

If related to Coastal Command in particular, then I would venture that you are correct. Fuel management was the most critical routine role for anti-submarine aircraft flight engineers during those long overwater patrols. They were required to make regular RPM reductions to minimize fuel consumption and to complete and submit a log demonstrating they had met target consumption rates. On the Fortress at least, they were also required to lead any fuel transfer procedures, in that case from the bomb bay tank(s) to the wing tanks.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 12th January 2021 at 15:24. Reason: Added trasfer

Thanks

Default Re: Courses held at Engine Control Instructional Flight, Thorney Island, early 1945

Thank you for reply Robert.
    Yes I think it would be exactly what you have described.
    I got a little bit further and there was no flying during this course so it would be only theoretical with calculations or with some ground practices.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz