Thread: Luftwaffe WW2 Shoot Down Claim / Report Card

Thanks

Default Luftwaffe WW2 Shoot Down Claim / Report Card

Can anyone identify this very faint copy of a badly written document, please? I was kindly sent it by another forum member in response to the thread I started concerning the loss of 101 Sqdn Lancaster LM387-

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...RAFVR-101-Sqdn

I understand that the document was filled in initially by someone on the ground receiving reports of ‘victories’ from pilots over the radio. (While that may have been the immediate case, I’m pretty sure, because of some of the details such as the number of dead and the airframe serial number corrections, that the card was updated afterwards).

It is Row 3 that is of particular interest to me and a co-researcher. Unfortunately the first column on the left is illegible – I’m guessing that perhaps this was perhaps the name of pilot making the claim? Although not visible on the card, I’m fairly sure, (thanks to Theo Boiten!), that this was Heinrich Prinz Zu Sayn-Wittgenstein.

The second column is the area the combat occurred - As you might just be able to make out on Row 3 this appears to be Grabow Ludwigslust Friesenhugge which makes sense. The next column is the time – 1910.

The column next to that one is not very clear, but I think I can just make out ‘Lancaster’ in the middle of two other entries I cannot read. Next column I think contains the initials ‘NJ’ (Night fighter);

The Number of dead appears in the next column – 3 crossed out and amended to 8. (According to other reports, three identifiable individual bodies were recovered, the other 5 crew were found all together very severely burnt and not identifiable).

The two columns next might be the crash location; first the applicable map – Schwerin - and then the crash location itself. (Possibly Ludwigslust again?)

The final column are the markings found on the downed a/c. Initially it seems to have been KKZ 387 (Which I am informed means Kein Kennzeichen [No marking] 387) later corrected to ‘LM387’.

If anyone has seen similar cards to this and can put me right as to what it was called and translate the various headings, etc., I would be most grateful. Of course, I would dearly love to get a clear copy of this particular card if anyone has any ideas!

MAJOR PROBLEM! Can't seem to insert the image (.jpg) - it gets converted to thousands of letters - and I may not post attachments according to the posting permissions. Sorry to be a pain, but any suggestions? Am sure I've managed to post images before. Malcolm

Thanks

Default Re: Luftwaffe WW2 Shoot Down Claim / Report Card

Malcolm - you can post images using a photo hosting site such as Flickr (I use Imgur - which I find slightly easier).
    With Imgur you can copy/paste directly onto the forum page using the BB code option.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:

malcwayland (14th January 2021)

Thanks

Hi Malcolm

I believe this is the image that you want to upload

https://imgur.com/P1BfBiB

Third row relates to LM387. As far as I can make out I believe that beneath the word Lancaster it says '100%' referring to the state of the wreckage.

Hope this works !

Mike
    Last edited by lancasterlm342; 13th January 2021 at 19:53. Reason: spelling

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lancasterlm342 For This Useful Post:

malcwayland (14th January 2021)

Thanks

Thank you Mike and bvs! Will have to (try!) and remember Imgur for future.
    Yes, Mike - As you well know, being another Very Interested Person in the fate of the crew of LM387, that is the card in question!
    The help of both of you is much appreciated, gentlemen.