Thread: King's Regulations 1939

Thanks

Default King's Regulations 1939

Does anyone have access to the King's Regulations valid at the commencement of WWII, or point me in the direction of a source, please?

Specifically, I am looking for:

- K.R.2637, which had to do with the issue of Officers with identity discs and an order for all ranks to wear them at all times from mobilisation, "according to K.R.2637".

- K.R.2439, which had to do with the closure of the ORB and forwarding of both the original and a duplicate to the Air Ministry on mobilisation, "according to K.R.2439".

Further to this, on 3 September 1939, all pilots were issued copies of "A.P.1548". What was this?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Steve
    Look at http://navigator.rafmuseum.org/results.do;jsessionid=3B15FE7DB511AE6A698FC54CE5FE 9C5F?view=detail&db=object&id=27565 it seems that AP1548 covered Instructions to Aircrew in the event of falling into enemy hands, but it wasn't released until June 1941, although there were probably earlier versions available and the date may simply be the edition that the Museum has available
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 8th September 2008 at 20:35.

Thanks

Steve,
    I have access to KR&ACI (1937 edition, incorporating amendment lists up to No.71 when published, amended with Lists Nos.72 to 80, up to Nov 1938, plus further amendments dated May and August 1941), which resides at the RNZAF Museum, Wigram. I also have photocopies of some sections her at home, and would question your KR.2439, to do with the ORB. According to my copy the Regulations to do with the ORB was Regulation 2349, and Reg 2350 was added later, this reg specifically giving details on disposal of the ORB. This regulation was issued with AL.72 in January 1938. As this Reg is about half a page long I will have to re-type it for you, probably later today. Is there any specific detail your are after particularly that I could quickly type before re-typing the whole thing? However the last paragraph of this Regulation states that "When a unit is disbanded or otherwise loses its identity, both copies of the Operations Record Book will be completed to the date of disbandment by the insertion of full details of the unit's distribution and will then be forwarded to the Air Ministry." (I take it that by "the unit's distribution" means that details of all final disposal of personnel and equipment should be included to complete the record, which should then match the inwards postings of the personnel to their new units, as well as re-allocation of their former aircraft and MT, etc.
    I will have to get back to you about Regulation 2637 after I visit Wigram this Friday.
    David D

Thanks

2637 does not refer to ID discs but 2537 does.

It says:-

2537. IDENTITY DISCS - The identity discs prepared for an airman on attestation in accordance with para. 2104, will consist of one Noo.1 (green) disc, which will be suspended from the cord worn round the nec, and one No.2 (red) disc, suspended from the No.1 (green) disc.

Source - KR 1941.

Ken

Thanks

Hi Dick, David and Ken

Thank you for your posts. It could well be that my source document (an original memo) has an error in the number of the King's Regulations, but they certainly have to do with ID discs and disposal of the ORB, so the numbers you're suggesting will be correct.

David - in answer to your query, thanks for looking this up for me, but please don't go to the trouble of typing up the whole Reg. I'm not going to quote it, but rather wish to summarise it as a footnote to the text, just so I can explain what the KRs were about. If you could summarise the important bits (bullet points?) for me, it would be most appreciated, thank you.

Dick - thanks for the link. This was definitely 3 September 1939, therefore pre-dating what's in the RAF Museum collection, but the principle is the same and makes sense.

Ken - thanks, just the type of thing I was after. I didn't realise they had colours - perhaps that's just too much US TV and seeing two plain stainless steel discs.

Cheers
    Steve

Thanks

Steve,
    As promised, text from the KR&ACI, 1937 edition (as amended).

Regulation 2350 – Disposal of Operations Record Book (Note: the version of this Regulation as detailed below was incorporated per medium of AL.72/January 1938). Please note that the original Regulation 2350 was incorporated in the 1937 edition of KR&ACI, but was the simple sentence which became clause 5 in the revised Regulation of January 1938. Did you know that KR&ACI was also known as AP.958?

1) During normal conditions the original Operations Record Book (Form 540) will be held by the unit or formation concerned. The duplicate copy will be forwarded through the usual channels to the Air Ministry in January each year following the formation of the unit.

2) When a unit is placed upon a war footing, or is called upon to undertake major operations the performance of which may make it difficult for the unit to provide safe custody for the original Operations Record Book, this, with appendices, will be sent through the usual channels to the Air Ministry together with the duplicate form (and appendices) compiled since the beginning of the year. A new record will immediately be started as directed in para. 2349, clause 4.

3) During the conditions referred to in clause 2, both original and duplicate copies of Form 540, together with all relevant appendices, will be forwarded monthly through the usual channels to the headquarters or the command or force. The latter will forward the original (and appendices) as soon as possible after the end of each calendar month to the Air Ministry. It will forward the duplicate copy to the Air Ministry when the copy is no longer required for reference, in any case not later than six months after its receipt from the unit.

4) On the resumption of normal conditions, the Operations Record Book (Form 540) of any unit which has forwarded it to Air Ministry for safe custody under the terms of clause 2 will be returned to the unit, and the action described in clause 1 will be recommenced.

5) When a unit is disbanded or otherwise loses its identity, both copies of the Operations Record Book will be completed to the date of disbandment by the insertion of full details of the unit’s distribution and will then be forwarded to the Air Ministry.

As a matter of interest, the rules for maintaining the Operations Record Book constitute Regulation 2349 (comprising 8 clauses, under title “Historical Records”), and were included (pretty well word for word) in the 1927 RAF Pocket Book (AP1081) in Chapter I, paragraphs 150 to 154. However the 1937 edition of AP.1081 did NOT include any mention of the ORB.

Thanks

Whoops! I have just noted an error in paragraph 3) of the above regulation. Please change latter part of first sentence to read ".....to the headquarters of the command or force".
    David D

Thanks

Hi David

Thanks for going to the trouble; very kind and most appreciated.

Steve