Thread: Information on A/Sldr Charles Frederick Andrew DFC

Thanks

Default Information on A/Sldr Charles Frederick Andrew DFC

Good afternoon all,

I am looking for information on the following gentleman:

115930 Charles Frederick ANDREW DFC

I have the following information so far, he was born circa 1914 in Yorkshire, possibly Sheffield. He enlisted into the RAFVR in 1939 as Padgate and was allocated service number 971547. He was commissioned from Sergeant in November 1941, so I'm guessing he may have either been on operations before this date or he was commissioned at the end of his Air Gunner training? The next information I have is him joining No.78 Squadron sometime in March 1942 as a commissioned Air Gunner, but he doesn't complete any operations before he is posted out, sometime in April 1942. I have no idea where he goes!

The next I have on him is him appearing in the 35 Squadron ORB in October 1942 as the Gunnery Leader. I then have him taking part in 25 operations with 35 Squadron between November 1942 and July 1943 when he is killed in action on the night of 29/30 July 1943 on ops to Hamburg. I have a description of the loss of their Halifax from one of the survivors and have all the detail from the CWGC website.

He was gazetted with the DFC on 14th May 1943. The gazette entry seems to be a general recommendation and he had only completed 20 or so ops by this time.

So does anyone have sight of him before he joined 78 Squadron, where he went in April 1942 and when he joined 35 Squadron. Any information appreciated.

thanks

Daz

Thanks

Default Re: Information on A/Sldr Charles Frederick Andrew DFC

Daz

I have him being posted in to 35 Squadron from 102 Squadron 15th October 1942

Regards

PeteT
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Default Re: Information on A/Sldr Charles Frederick Andrew DFC

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT View Post
    Daz

I have him being posted in to 35 Squadron from 102 Squadron 15th October 1942

Regards

PeteT
    Pete

many thanks, I'll see if I have the 102 Squadron ORB.

Regards

Daz