Thread: Flt Lt Ellis S SELLEK - 21/12/43

Thanks

Default Flt Lt Ellis S SELLEK - 21/12/43

Flt Lt Ellis Samuel Sellek died on 21 Dec 1943. Can anyone shed any light on the circumstances surrounding his death?

Many thanks in advance

Thanks

its not your answer but he is listed on an ancetry.com family tree and the place of death is listed as Tupsley, Herefordshire, England. Can;t find him in Flight as yet.

ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    To be Actg. Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency):
    Wt. Offs.
    Gazette Issue 35598 published on the 16 June 1942. Page 5 of 46
    159973 Ellis Samuel SELLECK (48654). (Seny. 25lh Mar. 1942.)
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

John, The entry in the CWGC site would suggest a non-battle casualty. Also no sqn is given, which would suggest that he was posted non-operational and either died from an accident or illness.
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

TUPSLEY, is part of E Hereford and his death is registered in Hereford. He was taken to his wife's home of Chippenham for burial. At 42 he was somewhat old to be operational. Tupsley looks from the Google map to be a residential part of Hereford and it could have been his parent's home or a billet close to his place of posting . It is currently the HQ of the SAS and their establishment could have evolved out of a previous RAF use of the site. There were 2 small airfields, Hereford1 and 2, the second being on what is now Hereford Racecourse and the first NE of it by about 2 miles.( http://content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/)
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Thanks for the replies - you have confirmed what I thought inthat this was non operational death. I did wonder if his death was due to a flying accident but would appear not.

Dick - I was sent on a 2 week promotion course to RAF Hereford...many years before the present incumbents I hasten to add.

Thanks for your help as always

John