Thread: Hudson FK780 or FK790 conundrum

Thanks

Default Hudson FK780 or FK790 conundrum

Hi, I am having difficulty with Hudson FK780, all the details I have indicate that it crashed North of Machrihanish ( I have a 6 figure grid reference) on 10th June 1943. This detail is backed up on Joe Baugher's web site (42-47336 to RAF as FK780 Flew into a hill, Machrihanish). Strangely I can find no crew listed for this crash.
    When I look at the following link, there is a photo ( near the bottom of the page) which clearly shows the tail wreckage of FK780 at a museum in the Netherlands which crashed dropping agents while with 161Sqn on the night of 5th/6th July 1944 . The web site does refer to a mix up between FK780 and FK790. Joe Baugher's web site does have FK790 being lost on the 5th July 1944
    http://aircrewremembered.com/1944-07...an-walter.html.
    Would anyone know which Hudson crashed near Machrihanish and the names of the crew ?
    Possibly there has been a stencilling error when the aircraft was painted which is now showing through on the aircrew remembered photos.

Thanks,
    Alan.

Thanks

Default Re: Hudson FK780 or FK790 conundrum

F1180 for 10 june 1943 has FK780

4 injured

Pilot Sgt T Nodeland Norwegian 1788
    Pilot Sgt E H Swanston 572926

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2021 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Many thanks Ross,
    I suspect that there was a stencelling error with the serial which was over painted on FK790 and with weathering has been revealed. Once the lockdown ends, I'll wander through the forest to find FK780.....hopefully.
    Thanks again,
    Alan.

Thanks

Re FK&()

I can confirm that the code on the tail was/is FK790. It was my uncle's aircraft and when it was lifted from the waters of the Ijsellmeer I was there to see the wreckage. I have a photo which shows FK790 quite clearly. Unfortunately can't post it here but happy to email it to anyone who wants it. I also saw the tail were it was on display and the umber was clear there, I think that the angle of the shot is the problem.
    I have found another photo, this time of the tail at the museum. The font used for the number is very angular, very difficult to describe the top half of the 9 is like a square with rounded corners and the bottom half if it was the same would make the number 8 but one vertical of the bottom half is missing creating the number 9 . A crde attempt to show what I mean. There was not an over print
    ___
    [ ]
    [__]
    ]
    [__]
    Last edited by Bob; 29th January 2021 at 09:30. Reason: Extra explanation

Thanks

Thanks for confirming Bob, the Aircrewremembered site was confusing me as it refers to FK780 and the photo of the tail seemed to confirm the identity. As you say, the angle of the photo and the quality on the web was misleading me.
    Thanks again,
    Alan.

Thanks

I'll send you a couple of photos if you like just let me have your email

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Bob Body (post #4) kindly sent me a couple of photos of FK790's tail section. I've posted them at the following:

https://sites.google.com/site/sparta...son-iiia-fk790

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 30th January 2021 at 21:53. Reason: Update link