Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Stirling LK383, Brest, 7th August 1944

Thanks

Hello Natalie

Being a little while since this thread started, I've very recently come across some information which in some small way may help, at least with the target area.

As you pointed out the mission being undertaken was a Gardening Operation, and as the target area was Brest so this area was code named Jellyfish which I'm sure you will have already established. What I can add is the geographical area this relates to.

This was bounded by the following limits; from Chateau de Ertheaume (which I presume should read Chateau de Bertheaume) 48 deg 20 min 13 sec N 04 deg 42 min 06 sec W, SW to Point(e) de Toulinguet 48 deg 16 min 49 sec N 04 deg 37 min 43 sec W, then onwards to the southern boundary of the area at 48 deg 16 min N then running westwards to 04 deg 46 min W then due north until regaining the northern shore just east of Saint Mathieu returning along the shore line to the Chateau de Bertheaume. Another factor I have also discovered was that mines had to be laid at a minimum depth of 5 fathoms to a maximum of 13 fathoms.

Taking all this together I'm fairly certain this will restrict the area being investigated quite considerably and hope you contacts in France can make good use of this in their endeavours to help you.

Kindest regards
    Pierre

Thanks

Dear Pierre,

Thank you very much for this information. I did not know that the "Jellyfish" region was so clearly defined. I can see I am going to have to get out my map of the Brest peninsula and do some work on this.

I have been a little bit quiet lately, as I'm currently on a work deadline, but I am still reading the forum every couple of days. If anyone else would like to comment, I would appreciate it. We are still trying to find the exact course the plane was on when it went down.

Pierre, I will make sure that the other families concerned hear about this information.

Many thanks,

Natalie

Thanks

Default Douglas Alan Moore Adams

I am researching my mothers family and her half brother was Douglas Alan Moore Adams - I would like to learn more about his RAF time - I have some photos of his Squadron. If you would like to get in touch please do so- Curlew

Thanks

I am related to John William Robinson,Flight Engineer of LK383 (my fathers nephew ).
    I would be interested to see Squadron photos as I have no photos of Bill Robinson.
    Regards,
    David Moules.

Thanks

Natalie,
    I have been reading your posts regarding LK383 with interest as I am related to John William Robinson, Flight Engineer.
    His father was my father's uncle.
    I have replied to another post which refers to squadron photos and I will contact you regarding any results.
    Regards,
    David Moules (my e-mail is braffham47@hotmail.co.uk )