Thread: 'Nachtjagd War Diaries' Vol II (Boiten/Mackenzie) 3/4 Mar 45

Thanks

Default 'Nachtjagd War Diaries' Vol II (Boiten/Mackenzie) 3/4 Mar 45

Hello,

Hoping someone has this book and can help me out with regards to night fighter activity that night.

I’m aware of the 2 claims (Lancaster and B-17 near Dishforth) by a Lt Arnold Doring from 10./NJG 3, however my main interest lies in the strafing at Skipton On Swale that evening and whether that attack is recorded in the subject book.

Can anyone with the book please take a look for me?

Thank you in advance.

Mike
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada

Thanks

Default Re: 'Nachtjagd War Diaries' Vol II (Boiten/Mackenzie) 3/4 Mar 45

Hi Mike,

Iíve got the book, I had a quick look but the only reference to Skipton upon Swale I could see is a reference to a 77 Sqn Halifax being attacked at 00.58hrs over Skipton upon Swales. If you contact me on harleyDOT158ATbigpondDOTcom change the AT & DOT for the usual, Iíll be happy to scan the pages for you.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Thanks John,

Thatís the one...my Dad was the Bomb Aimer on that 77 Sqn plane!

Email on its way.

Thanks!

Mike
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada

Thanks

Hi Mike

Rod and I (mostly him, I'm more than happy to acknowledge) spent a huge amount of time looking at Gisela-related documents over the last few years, in preparation for his forthcoming NCA volume covering that night.

Both of Doring's claims were mis-identified (the B-17 was in Norfolk and not by him), but the Skipton strafing gets a few lines mention in the Skipton ORB. I have a photo of that page.

Happy to help if I can

Ian

Thanks

Thank you Ian,

I have the Skipton ORB entry myself as well as the 77 Sqn one that essentially just has the summary of the Op and that they were diverted.

Is the strafing at Skipton on Swale attributed to anyone in particular in your research?

I appreciate the follow up. Thank you again.

Mike
    Last edited by anglin.mj; 7th February 2021 at 22:09.
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada

Thanks

Hi Mike,

I believe John Williams sent you this information by email...

For the revised version of the Nachtjagd War Diaries (entitled the Nachtjagd Combat Archive), I've researched (with acknowledgement to Ianh, whose initial work spurred me to really get to the bottom of events during Gisela) and written an extremely detailed narrative of events concerning Unternehmen Gisela. With regard to Skipton-on-Swale, following are the tabular entries from the manuscript:

Incidents involving Allied Aircraft over the United Kingdom during Unternehmen Gisela, 01.30 to 01.59 hours:

01.55 - 01.58h Attack 77 Halifax MZ769/U F/O E. Tarling RCAF Yorkshire 0 ft.
    Returning from the raid on Kamen, aircraft attacked by Intruder while touching down at Skipton-on-Swale airfield. Not hit.

Bombing and Strafing incidents on the ground in the United Kingdom during Unternehmen Gisela, 01.30 to 01.29 hours:

01.58h Strafing Skipton-on-Swale Aerodrome Yorkshire Cannon fire
    Intruder strafed 77 Sqn Halifax MZ769/U as it touched down on the runway, but the attack caused no damage or casualties. Making a second attack run, the Intruder then strafed the aerodrome and caused slight damage to the No.2 Hangar, the 433 Sqn Radar Hut, and two 433 Sqn Lancasters parked on the airfield (both damaged Category A). No casualties.

It's impossible to know who the German crew was since practically all Luftwaffe documents concerning Gisela were destroyed before the end of the war. Even with a fair amount of German crew documentation, such as flying logbooks etc, I see nothing indicating an attack at Skipton.

Cheers

Rod