Thread: Sea Fury look up, if possible, from Fleet Air Arm Fixed-wing Aircraft Since 1946

Thanks

Default Sea Fury look up, if possible, from Fleet Air Arm Fixed-wing Aircraft Since 1946

Hello

Can anyone with a copy of Ray Sturtivant's 'Fleet Air Arm Fixed-wing Aircraft Since 1946' do a quick look up please?

I'm after details of Sea Fury WJ245, which was shot down on April 25th 1953 with the loss of Lt.(P) J. T. McGregor.

Also, is there any mention of the Sea Fury he was flying two days earlier on April 23rd 1953 when he and Lt. Bluett were jumped by two Mig 15s - McGregor's aircraft was hit by a cannon shell.

Many thanks.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 8th February 2021 at 11:30. Reason: typo
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Default Re: Sea Fury look up, if possible, from Fleet Air Arm Fixed-wing Aircraft Since 1946

Simon,
    The pertinent bit says:

"801 Sqn Glory ('160/R') by 1.53; Rolled during steep diving attack on Soho railway bridge, Korea, hit by flak, seen to be in 50 degree spiral dive 1,5000ft (sic), failed to recover, spun in 12 E of Choppeki Point, destroyed by fire Cat ZZ 23.4.53 (Lt JT McGregor killed); SOC 11.5.53"

Other than looking through every Sea Fury entry, I can't see an easy way of answering your second question (even if it was listed, the damage may have been minor).
    Andy

Thanks

Default Re: Sea Fury look up, if possible, from Fleet Air Arm Fixed-wing Aircraft Since 1946

Many thanks for that Andy, much appreciated.

Sorry, I didn't want you to trail through the Sea Furies! Is there not an index of names at the back, as with the 1939-1945 volume? I wondered if perhaps the MiG 15 incident may be mentioned, with his name as pilot.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Ah, so there is! McGregor does get two mentions, but the second was the heavy landing of VW542 aboard HMS Triumph on 25.10.51.

Thanks

Thanks again Andy.

I thought it was worth a go to see of the MiG 15 incident got mentioned, but thank you for the incident with VW542, and for the previous gen about WJ245.

Regards

Simon