Thread: P/O James Elmer Abbotts - RCAF - 403 sqn - information

Thanks

Default P/O James Elmer Abbotts - RCAF - 403 sqn - information

Hi everybody,

I’m a genealogist from the Netherlands, currently looking into a crash that happened in my hometown of Hillegom. I’m hoping this the right forum to ask this, but I’m just giving it a shot.

Now, I’m not at all an expert on Canadian (war)archives, so that’s where my questions come in. This might be a lot of information, we’ll see.

The information I have is mostly from the internet and some newspaper clippings I have.
    Jimmy Abbotts (J/17204) crashed with his Spitfire (KH-H) on July 29th 1943 in a bulb field in Hillegom. That day, he was flying with the 421 squadron during operation Ramrod. A few villagers saw it all happen but unfortunately they were unable to get Jimmy out of German hands. Apparently he later became a POW in Stalag Luft III. The operation record book I found online mentions “Escape to danger”, page 179-81, but unfortunately I have not been able to get hold of this book.
    Now the circumstances around his crash are very clear, it really is the most amazing story but I’m a bit more interested in the moments after the crash.
    After the crash, Jimmy was unconscious and brought to a hospital where he would again wake up (this is from his own account, I’m not sure which hospital). Basically I want to look into official information from that moment until the liberation (of course if there even is something).
    Now I have send in a request to the Arolsen Archives in regards to his stay at Stalag Luft III, but that could take up more than a year and I still have to get his service file. Of course I’m looking into Dutch archives too.
    I’ve heard of a few places in The Netherlands where the Germans would repair plane wrecks or salvage the useful parts. I’ve read about one German salvage report but I’m not sure how common they were. This would be my dream find (I can dream right..)

So yeah, If anybody has some useful suggestions where to look for basically anything “official” (books or (online) archives, I think have googled everything there is to find on "normal websites", but you never know) I would be very grateful!
    Last edited by Charlottevk; 8th February 2021 at 13:54.

Thanks

Default Re: P/O James Elmer Abbotts - RCAF - 403 sqn - information

Charlotte, Hi,
    Welcome aboard.
    Abbotts was in Spitfire Mk IX BS509 (KH-H)
    If you Google " "James Elmer Abbotts" + RCAF " there's a stack of 'hits', and a lot of leads!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 8th February 2021 at 15:15. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

And, you will need to seek out a copy of Paul Brickhill's book, Escape to Danger.

Stephen

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Default Plt Off James E Abbotts and Spitfire BS509

Interesting article and photos: https://www.vintagewings.ca/stories/one-in-a-million

Robert

Thanks

Default Re: Plt Off James E Abbotts and Spitfire BS509

Thanks Robert, he was a lucky guy! He's also mentioned here:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...441#post158441
    Perhaps these threads can be combined Jagan?
    Happy New Year all,
    Andy

Thanks

Default Re: Plt Off James E Abbotts and Spitfire BS509

Incredible story recounted on Vintage Wings. Also sad that he died a few years later - but when? Could be 1959 as below?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...-elmer-abbotts

Thanks

Yes, that's him, Jagan.

He was killed while returning home after a night of curling. "He suffered severe head, leg and internal injuries and died about four hours after he was discovered in his smashed vehicle"

He had previously worked for the Owen Sound Sun Times as a linotype operator before enlisting in the RCAF.

Regards,

Dave

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alieneyes For This Useful Post:

Jagan (31st December 2021)