Thread: F/0 WOODMAN - Me110- 09.05.1944 Belgium

Thanks

Default F/0 WOODMAN - Me110- 09.05.1944 Belgium

Hi all,

Does somebody have any info about a Me 110 killed on 08/09.05.1944 by F/O Brian WOODMAN ( RNZAF and RAF - flying on Mosquito - Sqn 169 ) and crashed at Braine-le-Comte in Belgium ?

I'm looking for combat report, exact place of crash, identity of the german pilot ...

Thanks.

Thanks

Hi:

Saw this one late, sorry. This one's fairly extensively treated in Martin Bowman's *Confounding the Reich" (thanks Neilly!)

Squadron board states "Lille area". Woodman saw a Halifax (actually, it would appear, Lancaster ND587 of 405 Squadron) at 6,000 feet with a twin-engined aircraft climbing up towards it. E/A was a Bf 110 of 1./NJG4, flown by Lt. Wolfgang Marstaller, who recounted the action in a letter to his parents on 12 May (he was killed in a crash at Trond airfield in August 1944). After firing on the bomber, and being fired on by the Mosquito, Marstaller dived to treetop level and flew away from the moon, and was followed on Serrate. Eventually he flew towards the moon and Woodman saw the reflection on the wings. Woodman scored hits with two bursts and forced the 110 to ditch, slightly wounding the crew.

The encounter took place around 3:45am on 9th May, 1944 over Landrecies, Belgium. A 100 Group Mosquito of 169 Sqdn crewed by F/O RG Woodman and F/O P Kennis attacked a Me Bf110 that had just engaged a Lancaster (LQ-D) of 405 Sqdn RCAF. Apparently the Lancaster crew fired a flare when they came under attack the Luftwaffe pilot was temporarily blinded by this. The Mosquito attack caused the Bf110 pilot to break of his attack and a chase ensued. The Bf110 was sufficiently damaged to crash land in a field with only minor injuries to the three crew. Unfortunately, the Lancaster crashed in flames about 2 miles away in Gallaix, Belgium killing all seven crew.

The combat report is available for download (for a small fee) here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/ww2aircombat.asp

(Click the "Search" button, enter "Woodman" and "169" into the relevant field, and a link to purchase the CR will appear - note the date on the choices which appear).

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks

Default Lt Marstaller

Hello ,

Lt Marstaller made this crashlanding on 9th May 1944 near Leuze-en-Hainaut.The Lancaster ND587 crashed near Gallaix , 12 km east of the town of Tournai.Lt Marstaller was killed on august 18th 1944 when he crashlanded a Ju-88 at the airfield of St-Trond ( Sint-Truiden in flemish ). He was born on february 2nd 1924 , he's buried as unknown at the German cemetery at Lommel Belgium.
    I hope that i was able to help you with this info.

Thanks

Default Brian WOODMAN

Hi,

Thank you all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhuxt View Post

The combat report is available for download (for a small fee) here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/ww2aircombat.asp

(Click the "Search" button, enter "Woodman" and "169" into the relevant field, and a link to purchase the CR will appear - note the date on the choices which appear).

Cheers,

Mark
    Hi Mark, I'm very interested in this report. However, when I perform the search as per your instructions, all I bring up are 2 Reports by Woodman. One for August '44 and one for November. '44 Are you mistaken about the report listed above? May 09th?

Thanks

Hi Darrell,

You're quite right, I can't get it to work either. I don't think I've got the details wrong though - the incident is referred to in "Cpnfounding the Reich", "Aces High" confirms it and Frank Olynyk (researches allied combat claims) does also. Perhaps there's a reference in the Squadron ORB.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks

Default For your tomorrow

Will Errol Martyn have more details in his book and/or have some source material he can access to help you?
    Dee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie2620 View Post
    Will Errol Martyn have more details in his book and/or have some source material he can access to help you?
    Dee
    Dee,

No, none that answer any of the questions raised.

Errol

Thanks

Thanks Mark. That's too bad. I managed to come into possession of the medals of one of the RCAF lads that went down in the Lancaster. I have managed to dig up some details of the German Pilot that shot them down, but not nearly enough to satisfy my curiosity.

I have ordered this fellows Research Papers from the Archives. Not sure if there will be anything mentioned in those, but I doubt it.